2013 beach tarpon skunk erased

Flamingo to Big Bend
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

2013 beach tarpon skunk erased

Post by DaveR »

Its been a difficult season so far. I jumped one fish the end of April and went through the entire month of May without a bump. No one else seems to be putting up numbers either.
June started off a bit better. With the normal cast of characters plus Heywood we hit the beach Sunday. Round about 0715 my pinfish found a happy school of fish and soon it was tarpon on. I joked to the guys that this was they day cause I left my drift chute at home.
I improvised by dragging my legs over the side of the Versa Board and it worked quite well. About 12 minutes into the fight after a couple of great jumps by the fish a sickening sound was heard. Surprise surprise another Redbone rod broke in half. I continued fighting and within a few minutes the rod continued its self destruction until it was in 4 pieces and I was left with only the reel attached to its seat in my hand.
Well, spinning reels don't work without guides for the line to go through. Who knew? So it's down to hand lining 65 lb power pro without a glove. Rik was quickly by my side when the rod broke and I handed him my reel so I didn't have a pile of line in my lap attached to 80 pounds of pissed off, yet tired fish. I was ready to cut the line when we saw that the fish was really close and opted to try to get her in to remove the hook. We managed to do that as the hook came out without the need of pliers.
She smam away strong and I saw her tail kick the best damn set of shakes I've had in a long time hit me.
I'd like to thank my buddies for all the help. After that rod broke they stuck by me rather than going after the school that we could still see or bother with the flying footballs that were churning the seas around us. Had I been alone the only option would have been to cut the line. I would hate to subject the fish to that.
Oh and if you have any Redbone rods do yourself a favor and give em to the kid own the street. Been through half a dozen of them. It ain't my technique. My St Croix doesn't fail under the sme stress.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: 2013 beach tarpon skunk erased

Post by Todd »

That fish was in a hurry to get away from Rik's shirt, don't blame the rod.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Just curious...how many trips have you put in to date? I know that the fish are thick off AMI, but those damn fish are so finicky. Especially the in gin clear stuff...

Sounded like you had to pay your dues more than usual this year.
JB
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Legs in the water? How dare you!!! LOL
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Half a dozen or so trips. Quite a few were cancelled due to weather. Like tomorrow's. :twisted:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Dave, its never a dull moment fishing with you. Thanks for letting me tag along, it was great finally getting back out there.

Made a big decision on Sunday, from now on I will not bring a rod with me while out on the beach. I missed some good photos.

"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

It was a great morning and DaveR put on quite a show. Great pictures bill.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

I soooooo wanted to cast at those bonita.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Rik

Post by Rik »

EZYLYF wrote:Legs in the water? How dare you!!! LOL
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Great Job Dave!!
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Dave I would take that pic with the broken rod and the tarpon on....and send it to Redbone :wink: Great job though under the circumstances and terrific camera work Bill :cool:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I might just do that.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Good job Dave and pictures too, Bill.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
GatorTroutBoy

Post by GatorTroutBoy »

Nice work Dave. It reminds me of our Dad who used to break alot of fishing rods. Good stuff.
~Mike~ aka GTB
deacoes

Post by deacoes »

Just wondering what the rating is for that model of rod, as far as pounds?