Getting to be that time again

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: Getting to be that time again

Post by Norm »

justabucup wrote:I have a question....... exactly where do you fish for tarpon?
Cow Creek :wink:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
FX4

Post by FX4 »

Vlap wrote:Rik, How about setting up one of the announcements that stays on top that has links and articles pertaining to Tarpon fishing. A tarpon fishing "read this".
This! I have caught a few tarpon in my day and I am looking forward to doing so from my kayak. I have read so much the last couple of days I really don't know what to think or if I should go after them. It would be nice if someone would set up a what to do and what not to do check list from a kayak. There is lots of what could happen and theoretical tales of terror but no actual stories of true incidents. Then there are a few sites that have a paragraph or two about how to go about it. So how about the straight scoop from the guys that have done it? Is this something an amateur big game want to be fisherman can handle, semi-experienced big game fisherman, or just the hardcore experienced? What is the straight scoop from guys doing this? How do you handle sharks in the area? When is it time to cut your loses and cut the line? How do you handle the kayak to minimize the battle and the stress on the fish? And on and on... What is the scoop from the guys successfully doing this? How do you get started?
Rik

Post by Rik »

FX4 wrote:This! I have caught a few tarpon in my day and I am looking forward to doing so from my kayak. I have read so much the last couple of days I really don't know what to think or if I should go after them. It would be nice if someone would set up a what to do and what not to do check list from a kayak. There is lots of what could happen and theoretical tales of terror but no actual stories of true incidents. Then there are a few sites that have a paragraph or two about how to go about it. So how about the straight scoop from the guys that have done it? Is this something an amateur big game want to be fisherman can handle, semi-experienced big game fisherman, or just the hardcore experienced? What is the straight scoop from guys doing this? How do you handle sharks in the area? When is it time to cut your loses and cut the line? How do you handle the kayak to minimize the battle and the stress on the fish? And on and on... What is the scoop from the guys successfully doing this? How do you get started?
Have you read this thread and the linked post in the thread?

The "tales of terror" have all been theoretical so far. Frankly, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a bad incident. While DaveR had one tarpon that tried to climb in his kayak when he had it boatside, I've fully expected to read about a hooked tarpon jumping in someone else's boat.

One more thing that I've said every year. As you read about guys catching tarpon, there is no need to rush to where they are fishing. Tarpon will be along every beach from Marco Island to Cedar Key. They are just as catchable in St. Pete as the are in Sarasota or Fort Myers or Clearwater or anywhere else. There is no need to drive long distances as you'll just drive by more tarpon then you see once you get to your destination.

A few years ago we were putting up posts about tarpon and we had a sudden in flux of guys who had driven 100 miles to where we were fishing. That is unnecessary. It won't make your tarpon fishing more successful. The reason the successful guys are fishing where they're fishing is because its close to their home and the launch is good.

"Tarpon honey holes" are the big passes like Boca Grande and Egmont where it isn't tremendously smart to use a kayak. The currents are very strong and the likelihood of getting run over by a power boat is pretty high. The fish on the beach are cruising. Just find a beach that is close by and launch. Go out a couple hundred feet from the sand and start watching.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rik wrote: A few years ago we were putting up posts about tarpon and we had a sudden in flux of guys who had driven 100 miles to where we were fishing. That is unnecessary.
In other words, don't come fish with us. :lol:

Find a beach with an easy launch and go there everyday.

Here is my .02 to the new tarpon guys. This is not a one and done type of fishing. You WILL spend many hours, I repeat many, bobbing in the gulf looking at lots of tarpon swim by and laugh at you before you MAY even hook up. Even then the hook up to landing ratio is not very good. The successful tarpon fisherman have put their time in. You can do everything right-timing, bait, light winds, easy launch, lots of fish, etc. and I can guarantee that you will still go home empty handed. Yes, there have been the few exceptions where first timers have hooked and landed them but those are few and far between.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
FX4

Post by FX4 »

Rik wrote:
FX4 wrote:This! I have caught a few tarpon in my day and I am looking forward to doing so from my kayak. I have read so much the last couple of days I really don't know what to think or if I should go after them. It would be nice if someone would set up a what to do and what not to do check list from a kayak. There is lots of what could happen and theoretical tales of terror but no actual stories of true incidents. Then there are a few sites that have a paragraph or two about how to go about it. So how about the straight scoop from the guys that have done it? Is this something an amateur big game want to be fisherman can handle, semi-experienced big game fisherman, or just the hardcore experienced? What is the straight scoop from guys doing this? How do you handle sharks in the area? When is it time to cut your loses and cut the line? How do you handle the kayak to minimize the battle and the stress on the fish? And on and on... What is the scoop from the guys successfully doing this? How do you get started?
Have you read this thread and the linked post in the thread?

The "tales of terror" have all been theoretical so far. Frankly, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a bad incident. While DaveR had one tarpon that tried to climb in his kayak when he had it boatside, I've fully expected to read about a hooked tarpon jumping in someone else's boat.

One more thing that I've said every year. As you read about guys catching tarpon, there is no need to rush to where they are fishing. Tarpon will be along every beach from Marco Island to Cedar Key. They are just as catchable in St. Pete as the are in Sarasota or Fort Myers or Clearwater or anywhere else. There is no need to drive long distances as you'll just drive by more tarpon then you see once you get to your destination.

A few years ago we were putting up posts about tarpon and we had a sudden in flux of guys who had driven 100 miles to where we were fishing. That is unnecessary. It won't make your tarpon fishing more successful. The reason the successful guys are fishing where they're fishing is because its close to their home and the launch is good.

"Tarpon honey holes" are the big passes like Boca Grande and Egmont where it isn't tremendously smart to use a kayak. The currents are very strong and the likelihood of getting run over by a power boat is pretty high. The fish on the beach are cruising. Just find a beach that is close by and launch. Go out a couple hundred feet from the sand and start watching.
Thanks for the response. I know how to go after them and where they are. I don't need your specific location, although a tip or two on how you are catching them never hurts. I have a few low traffic locations that are known producers of fish at this time of year. I have no intention of going to Boca Grande or bobbing with the fleet. What I want to know is specifics from doing so in a kayak. As cited in the theoretical tales of whoa a lot can go wrong, I get that. But what are you guys doing, how are you rigging the boat, what tackle (rods)? Boat management when one is hooked. And believe me she will not be landed green. BTW, I guess I'm blind but I don't see a link in this thread.
Rik

Post by Rik »

FX4 wrote: BTW, I guess I'm blind but I don't see a link in this thread.
oops, meant to put this link - http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 25&t=38383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this - http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... on#p335406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FX4

Post by FX4 »

That is what I am looking for. Thanks.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

What county are you in?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
FX4

Post by FX4 »

Collier
Rik

Post by Rik »

FX4 wrote:There is lots of what could happen and theoretical tales of terror but no actual stories of true incidents.
Tale of terror.....

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... =1&t=33049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FX4

Post by FX4 »

Yeah I already thought about this case scenario. And very scary but no disaster. I keep a pair of line clippers on my vest. I am curious about the color of his kayak. Out West where I am from surfers occasionally get mistaken for shore bound seals and sea lions. I suspect his inspection by the shark was such an issue. Is this thing edible?
FX4

Post by FX4 »

Kind of reminds me of this incident that has gone viral in the kayak fishing world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puNhvXutVjQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rik

Post by Rik »

I can't believe that guy pulled the fish up into the kayak. He was a second away from having that shark in his lap.
FX4

Post by FX4 »

Yes he was. If you watch the video real close you can see that the shark bumps the bottom oh his yak after taking the fish. That was a big shark!