My solution to mounting a trolling motor to DE canoe

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Jack D

My solution to mounting a trolling motor to DE canoe

Post by Jack D »

I recently bought a trolling motor for my 1971 16' Old Town and went through all the research for pros/cons of the various mounting methods. It seems most use a side saddle mount in this situation, but I wasn't convinced that was the best way to go. Stem mount didn't lend itself either, way too far back and the tiller is at your back.

Any way, I found a compromise method for mounting and thought I would share it. A running log of this project is located at the URL posted below. My project is not finished yet and more pictures will be added as I progress.

http://metalsmithpro.com/Canoe.htm

poppawheelie
Location: beutiful Snuffner (seffner for you city boys) Florida

Re: My solution to mounting a trolling motor to DE canoe

Post by poppawheelie »

looks almost the same as the one i just made for my old fiberglass canoe. except i have rolled fiberglass gunwhales and used wood bolted through them. it works very well once i got it dialed in to the rite length... yours looks more professional than mine. maybe ill take a pic so you can see what a woodworker does with scrap wood. :wheelchair:
Jack D

Post by Jack D »

poppawheelie wrote:looks almost the same as the one i just made for my old fiberglass canoe. except i have rolled fiberglass gunwhales and used wood bolted through them. it works very well once i got it dialed in to the rite length... yours looks more professional than mine. maybe ill take a pic so you can see what a woodworker does with scrap wood. :wheelchair:
Thanks. Yes. Let's see some pictures. Good to know that it works. I haven't tried mine, yet, but it looks good in theory. Today, I made some clevis pins from 1/4" brass rods to hold it in place and counterbored the wood for the clamp feet. Pictures posted on the web page link.
Jack D

Post by Jack D »

Mount is finished. Now to get the battery and wiring. Then a license number for the bow and I'm ready for sea trials.

poppawheelie

Post by poppawheelie »

:wheelchair: i can't download pics today my computer is stubborn!!!
poppawheelie

Post by poppawheelie »

i didnt let mine go totally under its easier for me to tuck just under the edge. if i can ever upload pics you can see what i mean. :wheelchair:
Jack D

Post by Jack D »

poppawheelie wrote:i didnt let mine go totally under its easier for me to tuck just under the edge. if i can ever upload pics you can see what i mean. :wheelchair:

I'm interested in seeing your pictures. Hope ou can get them posted.
Jack D

Post by Jack D »

After much thought, I decided to fabricate a pair of stabilizers to make fishing and rough water a bit easier.

More pictures here: http://metalsmithpro.com/Canoe.htm