Shaddalicios

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Shaddalicios

Post by DaveR »

The Guru and I wanted to add the annual shad run notch to our belt so a few weeks back we made the drive over to the St Johns River. Neither of us had caught shad so we thought it proper we weren't left out.
We did a lot of on line research and armed ourselves with important LOCAL KNOWLEDGE so as to lessen the learning curve. So off past the land the mouse built we went in search of The Poor Man's Tarpon. We were to meet up with some old pals we haven't seen in some time who are old hats in this game.
So find the launch we did and John's Mac Daddy canoe provided the platform to get to the shading grounds. Only a mile or so away they were. A good thing as we had errrrr, motor issues so BAC to paddlin it was. Armed with more shad candy than I will ever use we found our sure as hell spot and started casting.
First fish was a crappie. Next a few of these fellows.
John had never caught a crappie before. Guess you Florida fellers call em specks. He was pleased to add it to his species list.
So cast away, and away, and away we did only hooking our canoemate a couple of times and finally the Holy Grail. The monster of the eastern seaboard. The andromidous animal bit and after a battle only equalled by a 15oz lady fish did we catch glimpse of the salmon of the south.
We joined about 1100 by our old pals, one of which ran out of beer way too damned early, and waded a shoreline casting away in search of more silver magnificence. Rewarded we were with a few more..
Slippery bastards they were.
We all ended up at a local eatery eating average food served by a lovely lady with above average breasts and drinking plenty of cold beer. Sorry, no pictures of the breasts or the beer.
Good to laugh it up with pals and then the 3 hour drive back past the mouse to home sweet home.
One note about the St Johns River. A beautiful meadow stream. Picturesque in it's own central Florida way. Especially if you enjoy the shake. The rattle. The hum. The drone. The Roar! Of A HUNDRED FUCKING AIRBOATS! They populate the place like mosquitos in Flamingo. So be warned. Peace and quiet are not part of the St Johns shaddin experience.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Re: Shaddalicios

Post by JoeS »

Nice trip Dave.......Don't let those Shad Darts go to waste......they work quite well on Reds as well :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Panfish maybe. They are heavy suckers and a pain in the ass th throw on a 5wt.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I tie them with mono eyes instead of lead on a #4 hook......a lot lighter.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Gotta get deep for the shad.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I kapiche....I am just sayin I have tied the same design sans the lead eyes for reds just a comment.....Did you ever do the Deleware River Shad Run when you lived in Jersey??? Was a lot of fun running the Dele in a Jon boat......
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Never did the Delaware but I did have my way with my first love on the top of the Water Gap. :rr:

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

All that way for bait? I don't understand.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Right, "shad fishing". One of you needs to shave your ass.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I left that part out. Shhhhhhh

"SANCTUARY!!!"

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Taint my taint!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton