Not Which One Should I Buy.......

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Basstar

Not Which One Should I Buy.......

Post by Basstar »

....but what are the reviews, pros and cons or these models? Or is there a model I am missing.

My goal is to have a kayak for lakes and slow moving streams where I live and to use inshore and perhaps just offshore when I visit Florida.

I am looking for a good bang for the buck and want something decent but it doesn't have to the latest and greatest, top of the line. Although I have done a little canoeing this will be my first kayak.

The models that have my attention thus far are the WS Tarpon 120 (or the Perception Pescador 12 as I read it was very similar), the Ocean Prowler 13, and the Malibu Stealth 12.

From what I can tell, I am 98% sure I want a SOT, 12' to 14' size range.

Comfort and stability are very important and although I am not looking for speed, ease of paddling and maneuvering would be great as well.

Any reviews of these as well as an idea I may not be aware of is appreciated.

Thanks so much.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Not Which One Should I Buy.......

Post by krash »

There are plenty of reviews of all of the brand/models you have listed and all would do the job. If you spend some time searching this forum, google, and several others you'll find all the infor you need to make that decision, you'll also find a lot of personal opinions along the way.

Nothing is better than trying before you buy one.. go to a place where people kayak and fish like you plan to do, hang out and talk to the kayaker/fishermen when they are coming back in, don't interrupt someone trying to get out at sunrise. You'll get real opinions, people seem to be more open in person especially if you can see their gear and setup's.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Basstar

Post by Basstar »

krash wrote:There are plenty of reviews of all of the brand/models you have listed and all would do the job. If you spend some time searching this forum, google, and several others you'll find all the infor you need to make that decision, you'll also find a lot of personal opinions along the way.

Nothing is better than trying before you buy one.. go to a place where people kayak and fish like you plan to do, hang out and talk to the kayaker/fishermen when they are coming back in, don't interrupt someone trying to get out at sunrise. You'll get real opinions, people seem to be more open in person especially if you can see their gear and setup's.
Krash, your advice is 100 percent right on except I am looking to use this in SW FL and do not live there. My intentions are to do some in person, hands on, person to person discussion before pulling the trigger and writing the check, but until I can get to that point I am trying to do as much research as possible online.

What I am trying to learn is again, not what to buy but simply the pros and cons of some different kayaks since what is a blessing to one kayak owner/ angler is a curse to another. For example I come from a bass tournament background and a Bullet bass boat is fantastic for making long fast runs, drives well, handles and performs well, etc., BUT is in no way as stable a fishing platform as say a Ranger. Neither is better or worse, just different and each angler makes the decision which characteristic is more important and which are they willing to trade one for the other.

I will search through some older threads to see what I can find as well.

Thanks so much and have a wonderful 2013!
strutzy

Post by strutzy »

I have a Heritage Redfish 14. Very happy with it for the money. the 14 fit me better that a 12. Heavier guys need 14 ft I am around 240 plus my gear the 14 works fine, a 12 wouldn't work i tried one before i bought. I think Native bought out Heritage and i don't think you can go wrong with their products, Good luck
pbr

Post by pbr »

If I was going to buy any production kayak for fishing it would be a Native Watercraft ultimate 14, hands down best design in my opinion. The only thing that would make it better is if it was built of kevlar and weighed less. Since weight was the highest priority for me I went with a Kevlar/carbon canoe.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I am looking for a good bang for the buck and want something decent but it doesn't have to the latest and greatest, top of the line.
If bang for the buck is a high priority ..have you considered used?
There are Craigslist listings and of course you can watch the classifieds section her on P-F.com
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club