Weedon Island

Flamingo to Big Bend
ahancock08

Weedon Island

Post by ahancock08 »

Hey Guys. I know there are a good deal of past Weedon Island posts, but I figured I would post a quick question instead of sifting through. If you drive all the way from the entrance to the back where you have a pier, bathrooms, kayak launch etc., where are the best spots to get on the fish? I usually launch and paddle directly to the left 200 to 300 yards and fish the group of little Mangrove Islands. Should I be paddling further? There appears to be endless shoreline, more mangroves in the distance and the channel there. Any insight would be awesome....avoid me having to just wander around.

Also, I have been using different artificial shads with 1/4-1/16 jigheads....is anyone having great success w/ a different rig? Live bait?

Thanks a lot.
Helmig

Re: Weedon Island

Post by Helmig »

Weedon as with many places can take a while to learn and most will be tight lipped on their spots. Alot depends on the tide, wind, water temp, time of year, etc. I rarely go there at low tide as I've other places that commonly produce. I like your described area early if I'm the 1st one there in the morning. I also have a few nearby spots I'll pitch into for an occasional snook. Other than that, I head on out front and the areas around there. If I can be there with low winds, I really like to drift the crab bouy line out front for big trout.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Paddle a little further, the area you mentioned gets pounded by anyone that will walk there.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

One thing I've learned about Weedon and anywhere else around here: The easier an area is to get to, the more pressure it receives. More pressure generally equals lousy fishing. Not that you can't or won't do well close to the ramp . ...