Bass Pro Shops moving to Tampa...

tony66

Re: Bass Pro Shops moving to Tampa...

Post by tony66 »

If I may, here's my 2 cents. Everytime I go to Orlando I stop at the BPS, it's like a theme park. I love to go look around, however, I don't usually buy much there. Besides being over priced for most of their stuff (I have found good deals on occasion) my biggest issue is with some of the people that work there. Here's what I'm referring to, when I first started to go there my thinking was that since it's a big prfessional sporting goods store, that the staff would be knowledgeable and could answer many questions I may want to ask. From the questions I've asked the first few years I started going there here's what I learned. (This is for inshore/the flats- thats where I fish)Did anyone here know that you can't fish much less catch fish unless you're using a $150+ reel that's attached to a $150-200+ rod. Did you that fish wont bite bite a $5 top water, only $9 or more (I didn't know fish knew the cost). Did you know that braided line at BPS is better than braided line of the same manufacturer at lets say Holy Mackerel for example. Did you know that I was told that the Pinnacle freshwater reel that I bought for $25 (cause that's all I could afford at the time) wouldn't last me more than a few months (had for approx 3yrs at the time, used it for bout 7yrs till it died- I didn't tell the reel so it didn't know any better). I didn't reaalize that all the fish I'd caught so far on a Wally or K-Mart $40 combo (still have some, still usr some) or other cheaper priced combo were relly a fluke (ugh, no pun intended).

On the plus side, when I had my little tin can (14' aluminum boat) with a trolling motor, I wanted some sort of push pole for really shallow water. I only paid $500 for the boat/trailer so there was no way I was gonna spend that much for a small push pole. I found one there for $45 that's made for using in a jon boat while duck hunting, it was perfect for my tin can. For some things, their great. I couldn't find anything like that over here (no-one mention BJ, same issue but will say they've gotten better- last few visits was 50-50 for staff but then I don't go often).

okay, my rants over. Sorry fo rbeing long winded but thanks for listenig...er.. reading.
bjbg8r

Post by bjbg8r »

Plain and simple for me. I've found BPS to be overpriced in my opinion. Also, as many people have commented, the employees at BPS typically aren't very knowledgeable. I also think that our local gov't paying for infrastructure is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, our governments have paid for similar infrastructure for Citrus Park Westfield Mall, and while I don't agree with that either, a mall is made up of many more stores than a BPS complex will be.

I can see the positive side for tourism perhaps, but I just get sick of major corporations crapping on the small businesses (of all kinds).
Brian

-(2) Hurricane Phoenix 130 Kayaks

"When good men fail to act, evil men will act with evil results."
Rik

Post by Rik »

bjbg8r wrote:
I can see the positive side for tourism perhaps, but I just get sick of major corporations .....
Sucking tax dollars from local communities because local politicians need something to crow about to get re-elected.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley

Post by 0119 »

Just the opposite for me. I prefer BPS for the things I cant get at tacklewarehouse. I dont want advise from employees so the college kids are just fine. I dont find advise in local shops nor want it since frankly, how much knowledge do they have in their few short years here in Florida? Only arrogant gents who look down at me for not fishing Stellas or Sustains and think Im nuts for using only baitcasters. People who ignore me in line and take the wonder god guide who came in 20 minutes after me (a trade mark of Economy Tackle). The guy who thinks he's being cunning in his attempts to squeeze out 'secret' honey holes. But mostly a pitiful gaggle of snowbirds turned guides looking down there noses at me because Im not wearing under armour or redzone clothes and have 50 stupid decals on my truck. You know, the same ones that will mow you down with their wakes, fly over your line and demand you leave an area you were at first and frankly have frequented long before they even thought about coming to Florida.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

I live in Pinellas. I WON'T go to DSG or the BPS Mega Stores now or in the future. First they are too far to drive to. Second, They don't have anything I can get at the three main stores I shop at, Holy Mackerel, Bill Jackson, or Betts. maybe Dogfish if I'm in that area. Third, they have no local knowledge of what, where and What's workin. Lastly, I find local Mom and Pop stores very competitive and they have everything I mentioned including excellent customer service.

:-B That's me on the soapbox
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

The most money I've ever been charged for the particular Owner hooks I use was at Tampa Fishing Outfitters off Dale Mabry. :/ Not a mega store by any stretch of the imagination. I needed them, I purchased them but haven't been back as I just "assume" everything they sold would be higher. Maybe ... maybe not.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Because it is convenient and it did have what I needed, I purchase a spook at South Shore B&T. While it is my fault..I didn't see the sign, but it ended up costing me just over 10 dollars because I was hit with a 1.50 charge for using my debit card. I know stores are charged a percentage...I didn't realize it till I got home and looked at the receipt. Thought it was a little high though...just be aware.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

You know - I've had that same issue, and I was pretty peeved about it. I think it was about a 12-15% penalty. Cash is/was king. Seems to me if you want to cover the credit card stuff ask 2-3% more across the board.

I went to the Ruskin Seafood Festival and there were some pretty cool stand alone products that people were using on their smart phones. I don't recall what they paid, but I want to say it was 2%, and I had the receipt texted to me pretty cool.

Course if BPS shows up 4-5 bait shops from the Alafia to CRB will probably go belly up. Not to mention it'll bite into TA Mahoney's. A PFTS #2 sponsor.
JB
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I don't think T.A. Mahoney's will be hit all that hard. They are a Tampa Icon and offer waaaayyy more that just tackle. It'll "ding" 'em a little but not much. Just my 2¢.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

You are very lucky to have the tackle stores you have, but if it were not for Bass Pro, we would be in trouble up here. I never miss getting to Bill Jacksons or the Bait Bucket when down there though.

We had a local store here which was the cats whiskers for outdoor stuff, but it went away. Cabalas and other mail order stores filled in until BP opened up.

You can complain about clerks with no real experience, but you have a real variety available in the BP stores and some of the clerks are very knowledgeable.

We bought a new boat during the year and our questions were forwarded to the manufacturers or rig testers for us and promptly answered. I questioned the prop selection as I calculated a size based on my needs. Cannot beat that at most boat stores. The ones who oversee repairs are also very educated professionals, not some kid that was hired off the street.

I had occasion to return an item which normally could not be returned in most stores. I documented the problem, talked to a manager, and then was told to pick out a replacement and get straight on the money difference. They would handle the paperwork.

A couple of reels with problems were exchanged on the spot with an apology for the problems. They handled any hassels with their supplier and it did not require any action from me.

So there are advantages for mom and pop stores and also for the chain stores. Find out which is most advantageous to you and give them your business.
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

22acrowd wrote:It will be nice to have my sponsor closer to home. I'm tired to driving to Orlando to pick up the patches for my fishing shirts.

I will always buy my tackle at Dogfish. I bought my first rod and reel at their original location 25 years ago. They always take care of me. I will continue to buy guns, knives, ostrich jerky, and porcelain statues of white tail deer at Bass Pro Shops.

This BBS software lacks the 'Like' button.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone »

It should interesting to see what happens. Sports authority apparently phased out their fishing sections (even if they had a "okay" selection).
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

It's been approved - 6 to 1.

Official word here.

More details (location, rough date) here.
JB
Rik

Post by Rik »

"Bass Pro was going to pay for it itself, but a new law allowed it to ask for money."

We have laws now that give companies permission to ask for money? And since they were going to pay for road widening themselves, why didn't we say no when they asked?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

My wife and have a place on the White River in North Arkansas, 60 miles from Springfield MO., home of Bass Pro, we are even closer to Branson, MO, theres one there too. The little town we are closest to has 950 residents, with 3 Fly Shops, lots of little Bait shops, and numerous Guides! Walk into any of those shops, hang out, drink coffee, or sometimes more Adult Beverages, and you can have lasting relationships with some good people. It's the same here, Dogfish, Holy Mackerel, Tampa Bay on the Fly are not just "shopping stores" they are my friends! That's where I get my local knowledge!
Johnny Morris started Bass Pro and is a good person, so was Sam Walton. Their stores do serve a purpose. Mostly not my type of experience.
I will continue to go in "My Friends" places and hang out, spend some money and be proud of my purchases, others can be just as proud of theirs at Bass Pro, Dicks or any where else.

BTW: If your ever in Cotter Arkansas, stop in at Dally's Ozark Fly Shop, tell Steve, Chad, and the Gang you just wanted to "Hang out" and maybe Tie some Flies, you'll be there the rest of the day. Plus you'll have "inside knowledge" of the local fishing opportunities.

Look up Dally's Ozark Fly Fisher Streamer Lovefest, you'll see a shop full of people, food, brews and all just to hang out, tie some Flies and visit with Friends, on a Cold Winter's night!

Support you local Bait Shop, or you won't have one!
Just my opinion ....
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Like All comments about the Friends and tackle stores. Andy and Jerry @ HM., John @bj and both of the experts at Betts...

Friends... always.
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]