TBOF

Mike Hodge

TBOF

Post by Mike Hodge »

Stopped by Tampa Bay on the Fly Sunday for my usual weekend chat with owner Enver Hysni, who told me the shop will be closed on Sunday through the rest of August. TBOF is a great shop, one of the few fly-only shops left in the state. I live right down the street from TBOF and consider myself fortunate to have access. Living in Gainesville was rough not having a fly shop.
bass7858

Re: TBOF

Post by bass7858 »

Forgive my ignorant question, but does this shop have fly tying supplies? Feathers, fur etc? i either have to go to orlando or st. pete. be nice to have something a little closer. thanks

fyi...i live in lakeland
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

bass7858 wrote:Forgive my ignorant question, but does this shop have fly tying supplies? Feathers, fur etc? i either have to go to orlando or st. pete. be nice to have something a little closer. thanks

fyi...i live in lakeland
You can try Andy Thornal's in Winter Haven or Flint Creek Outfitters in Fish Hawk south of Brandon.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

bass7858 wrote:Forgive my ignorant question, but does this shop have fly tying supplies? Feathers, fur etc? i either have to go to orlando or st. pete. be nice to have something a little closer. thanks

fyi...i live in lakeland
TBOF has a lot of fly tying supplies and just about anything else you'd want for fly fishing. In fact, it's one of the few fly-only fly shops in the state of Florida. The owner, Enver Hysni, is a great guy and prides himself on customer service. Well worth the trip from Lakeland, IMO.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Mike Hodge wrote:

fyi...i live in lakeland
TBOF has a lot of fly tying supplies and just about anything else you'd want for fly fishing. In fact, it's one of the few fly-only fly shops in the state of Florida. The owner, Enver Hysni, is a great guy and prides himself on customer service. Well worth the trip from Lakeland, IMO.
Concur.....As for Flint Creek Outfitters in Fish Hawk I would rather travel to the other side of the world before I set one foot in that place......Owner is the most @#$^&hole I ever met the staff isn't any better, they can't keep employees and that say's a lot....Example I put a major deposit on a Ultimate 14.5 there when I went to pick it up they had sold it to somebody else.....that's just one experience with them.....just sayin.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

JoeS wrote:
Mike Hodge wrote:

fyi...i live in lakeland
Concur.....As for Flint Creek Outfitters in Fish Hawk I would rather travel to the other side of the world before I set one foot in that place......Owner is the most @#$^&hole I ever met the staff isn't any better, they can't keep employees and that say's a lot....Example I put a major deposit on a Ultimate 14.5 there when I went to pick it up they had sold it to somebody else.....that's just one experience with them.....just sayin.....
Never been to TBOF, have to agree with you on Flint Creek but thought maybe it was just me.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

TBOF is the great and Enver is friendly and full of knowledge
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Wow. Rare you hear such negativity about a fly shop. More often than not they are a place ya just feel like going to hang out even if you don't need anything. Never been to F. Creek and I guess I never will.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

DaveR wrote:Wow. Rare you hear such negativity about a fly shop. More often than not they are a place ya just feel like going to hang out even if you don't need anything. Never been to F. Creek and I guess I never will.
Dave FC isn't a Fly Shop per say....the owner and his arrogant son don't know a Kwan from a Toad......they are a expensive outdoor clothing store with some Orvis stuff so they can use the Orvis name........The last time I spoke to one of the managers from there he said "Nobody Paddle Fishes" anymore that's why they quit selling Kayaks and Canoes......I am wasting my time reping Mohawk Canoes......I asked him what he uses he said" I don't waste my time Fishing"....lol...Idiot....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

For those of you who reside in the Sarasota area, you might want to check out Flying Fish Outfitters, 303 Tamiami Trail South Nokomis, FL 34275
(941) 412-4512.

Shawn, the owner, is an avid fly angler and has a pretty good assortment of flies and tying materials. Very nice people who support fly fishing and fly tying.

http://www.flyingfishflorida.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Not every day you see a fly shop that sells live and frozen bait. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Shawn is a good guy and it is a nice shop. Ya gottta do what you gotta do.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

BearsFan wrote:Not every day you see a fly shop that sells live and frozen bait. :wink:
Never seen that, either. Pragmatic, though.
... Never forget the time a couple dudes walked into TBOF and asked about bait. Enver, to his credit, kept a straight face and pointed them toward Gandy Blvd.