Beyond the Breakers

Walt_Trident13

Beyond the Breakers

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

I've been watching a lot of videos from Ty Southerland (30milesout) and I follow the TexasKayakFisherman forum. They're always posting videos and such of their trips off the beach. Usually they head out to the oilrigs that are anywhere between 2-5 miles out. Or they troll for bull reds and kings off the beach. I've searched on this forum for any local stories and haven't found any. Do any of you local yakers head out into the gulf off the beach? Is there any structure out there? I'm thinking no farther than 2 miles out. How's the current out there? I've had some workouts just paddling the bays going against the current. Any crazy turtle stories?
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rik

Re: Beyond the Breakers

Post by Rik »

Our topology is pretty flat. There are some close in 'structures' - usually just a small ridge or bump - that sometimes hold fish. You'll need to find a few of the offshore fishing guys and beg some gps numbers or you'll be searching for years. You could do what many do and just follow a few guys as they head out. Or look for boats anchored up and fishing.

There's quite a few guys here who have done the kingfish trolling thing. maybe they'll speak up.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

There are a few local reefs close and some are publicly listed, Silvertooth for example out of big pass in Sarasota. I wish I had a boat with scuppers as I'd give it a shot. Would suck though to paddle for 2 miles to find a public spot overrun with boats.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

1 Mile manatee reef...

This is just past the swim floats on Bradenton Beach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOH_om8pZs
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

"WHAT???"
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

If you are willing to drive over to the east coast I do this quite often anywhere from the Canaveral Seashore to Indian Harbour Beach. The best time of the year is between June and September. We caught some nice kings, sharks, bonita, jacks, and tarpon this year.
If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

Although there are a couple spots on the West coast I've been looking at, I agree with the East coast recommendation.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/UrbanLeg ... b51ad616a4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Devodud wrote:If you are willing to drive over to the east coast I do this quite often anywhere from the Canaveral Seashore to Indian Harbour Beach. The best time of the year is between June and September. We caught some nice kings, sharks, bonita, jacks, and tarpon this year.
I use to live in Ft Pierce many moons ago and I can tell you there is a very nice reef that is only a couple of hundred yards off shore....and in West Palm the Gulf Stream is only 5mi out if your feeling adventurous.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

Norm wrote:
Devodud wrote:and in West Palm the Gulf Stream is only 5mi out if your feeling adventurous.
I tend to feel adventurous from time to time...

If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!