Hey you! Lure manufacturers, EAT MY SHORTS!

Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Re: Hey you! Lure manufacturers, EAT MY SHORTS!

Post by Paul »

Best lure Endorsement ever

You should sell your paddlecraft and buy a nice lawn chair - Hell you can catch bass, snook and tarpon off the seawall???
sounds like cows creek or some type of Nirvana
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

"Fancy fishing lures are designed as much to catch fishermen as they are to catch fish."

Your doing it right.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

This is kinda like taking a knife to a gunfight, using a freshwater lure/hooks in *THIS* hostile environment.

However, if you're looking for top-of-the-line saltwater stuff (including real-man hooks), check these kids out. Mullet and Greenback (in "wake-bait" version) and a sinking pinfish.

Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I use the mullet. Again, I changed to 4x hooks. I have hooked 3 BIG snook on the damned thing so far but they have come unbuttoned. Not the lures fault. Gonna give it a go in The Glades next week.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

pag_yaker wrote:This is kinda like taking a knife to a gunfight, using a freshwater lure/hooks in *THIS* hostile environment.
I bought the Mullet Wakebait. The one they show in the Saltwater section of their website. A 24 inch redfish straightened out one hook and a 22 inch red straightened out another. If either of those fish had been a 27 inch red I am sure I'd have lost the fish. Plus, after just one fishing trip the hook is rusting away.

The lure does work well. It does catch fish. However, there is absolutely no excuse for the manufacturer to put shoddy hooks on a $17 lure. When you pay premium prices you expect premium product. I shouldn't have to change out the hooks before I use the lure.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Or, in Jersey speak. EAT MY SHORTS,
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Has anyone consider putting on a single circle hook. Those treble hooks look pretty intimidating. I do that with topwaters - mainly to eliminate grass snags.

That said, last week Sat I manged to pull a DaveR and I had to pull the hook out of my thumb. It was in a bad spot where I couldn't push it through and cut the barb; so it was pull until it comes out. I tried the ol' "OK - pull it out on the count of 5", but then yank it out on the count of 3. Regrettably that doesn't work so well when you're by yourself and doing the pulling.
JB
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Rik wrote:
pag_yaker wrote:This is kinda like taking a knife to a gunfight, using a freshwater lure/hooks in *THIS* hostile environment.
I bought the Mullet Wakebait. The one they show in the Saltwater section of their website. A 24 inch redfish straightened out one hook and a 22 inch red straightened out another. If either of those fish had been a 27 inch red I am sure I'd have lost the fish. Plus, after just one fishing trip the hook is rusting away.

The lure does work well. It does catch fish. However, there is absolutely no excuse for the manufacturer to put shoddy hooks on a $17 lure. When you pay premium prices you expect premium product. I shouldn't have to change out the hooks before I use the lure.

Loosen your drag bro - dude always straighten hooks....must be angry
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Paul wrote:Loosen your drag bro - dude always straighten hooks....must >be angry
That works for RUST too? ....I thinks we talkin bout experienced fisherpersons here...might know how/when to tighten or loosen their noose... opps, drag. (Not Queen). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

When using flats gear with 15 pound line the hook is the last thing that should let go..

"SANCTUARY!!!"

pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I talked to my peeps at Koppers, and they advised that if you'd send pics of defective hooks or damaged lures to them at [email protected] they will make it right. Speak your mind folks, they want a badass lure as much as you do ...
Jerry White
Rik

Post by Rik »

Don't the conservation folks tell us to land fish quickly?

The hooks on those lures are junk right out of the box. Straightened out and then turned to rust in one trip.

On top of that, the company ignored my email. They'll never get another penny from me.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Rik wrote:Don't the conservation folks tell us to land fish quickly?

The hooks on those lures are junk right out of the box. Straightened out and then turned to rust in one trip.

On top of that, the company ignored my email. They'll never get another penny from me.
They're expecting the e-mail and pics now ... so give it another shot. Since they use Owner hooks, I'd expect they'd need some jpeg data to take to them.
Jerry White
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Just send them this thread.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM

Post by 0119 »

I use freshwater hooks/lures in salt all the time without a hook straightening. But I never use braid and think thats the cause of the hooks straightening. All that said Koppers hooks are stronger than the new Pure Fishing generation Sebiles.
TK

Post by TK »

I got to witness the power of this lure at the hands of the legend for the last 3 days.

all I can say is - it's unbelievable. It was like he was calling them in for dinner. The tarpon and snook put the beats on that thing.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"