Fort Myers Beach

rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Fort Myers Beach

Post by rugrat181 »

Heading south to take the nephew and his kids out for a day's fishing. Looks like we will be in the San Carlos Bay Area. I am just looking for any and all advice on the area. It's gonna be a live shrimp day, I guess, in hopes of some trout.
Please understand, this is not a kayak trip due to the party (3 little ones 12,11 and 9) but we will be on a pontoon so I hope to fish the shallows.

Thanks in advance, rugrat (Dave S)
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Fort Myers Beach

Post by ChrisR »

Dave,

I fished Estero Bay this weekend. We were successful in Hell Peckney, the islands and flats just inside of Big Carlos Pass, and the islands and flats just inside of Big Hickory Pass. On high tides, fish the mangroves with lsomething stinky, when it is low in the morning or evening, fish the flats with topwaters and weedless plastics. Redfish were caught on Gulps worked under the mangroves, and the Sebile stick schadd on the flats when the tide dropped. We caught trout on Sebiles and Mirrodines over grass, and ladyfish, jacks and mangrove snapper on the channel edges. The water is pretty warm down there, so cut bait might be your best option. If you are able to get shrimp, they will be tiny. Another option is to catch some ladyfish to use as cut bait with your kids. From what I understand, Ladyfish has been quite productive in that area lately. If you can make a trip to Sanibel Island, bring your fishing rod, and check out Ding Darling Preserve. Don't forget to watch for snook on the beaches as well. Good luck.
bassboy

Re: Fort Myers Beach

Post by bassboy »

Being from the Ft.Myers area i know growing up as a kid we always went to the pier if the fishin wasnt that good we would hit the Dairy Queen right there at pier. Good Luck