First Tarpon

Flamingo to Big Bend
fsh4fun

First Tarpon

Post by fsh4fun »

Hello all,
Like many of you I’ve been a fishing addict, since I was 4. It’s been a dream of mine to catch a tarpon for many, many years. I usually only get to Florida for a week, or two each year, so this was kind of a bucket list thing for me.
I’ll get to the story, but first want to thank a few people who helped make this happen. First to my family for supporting my tarpon obsession, and to the Marshalls who vacationed with us, and took these great photos. Rik and Zero-six, thank you for all the sound advice, over the last year, you helped with considering safety aspects, tackle selection, techniques to tire fish quickly, and revive them, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Lastly thanks to Al at Economy Tackle for setting me up with a kayak, waiting for mine to come in.
Last July I was unsuccessful… I had hooked a couple of tarpon, one shook the hook, one my reel jammed and broke off. Then I had a long fight with a big shark, but all I wanted was a tarpon…
This year was going to be different. I had heavier tackle, a drift chute, and saw lots of fish every morning. I had been fishing mostly in the mornings, with pinfish. I just couldn’t seem to find bait along the shore, or schools of threadfins out in deeper water. I had tussled with a couple of big sharks, had two tarpon smash pinfish, and not get hooked. Near the end of our vacation, I saw some bait near the shore, and managed to catch some nice big threadfins with my cast net. I hadn’t fished much during mid-day, but thought I’d give it a try. I wasn’t out very long, when I saw a wake go by in front of me, and there was no boat in sight… then the fish broke water, and my reel started screaming. The next couple of minutes were kind of a blur. I got my drift chute out, turned on my gopro camera, and cleared my anchor line. I had the drag turned down a bit, for an initial run, but the fish kept jumping. I was lucky, the fish headed towards the shore, so I lifted my chute, and gave chase. Then I threw my chute back out, when I was on the first sand bar. I was able to control the fish, somewhat, and tried to keep the pressure the opposite direction the fish was going. I’d upgraded to a heavy 8 ft St. Croix, and it helped tire the fish in under 20 min. I had about 13 min on my camera, and I’m sure it was a few minutes before I turned it on. A crowd had gathered on the beach, and sandbar, and I could hear my three little ones cheering me on. I was able to get a hold of the fish, and jump out for a quick photo. It was hooked perfectly in the corner of the mouth, and I watched it swim away strongly. People behind me couldn’t believe I’d let it go so quickly, but I was more concerned about the fish than letting everyone see it. A day I will never forget
Here’s the video.
http://youtu.be/zEvQPGq2mKM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil
TRKpoker

Re: First Tarpon

Post by TRKpoker »

WOW! Congrats!
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Congratulations!!!
Great pic & awesome video!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Congratulations. Great picture and video. Welcome to the club.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

Great Video!! Congratulations !!!!
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Beast!!!!
sfcscott

Post by sfcscott »

Sweet!
Scott
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Great shot welcome to the no good Rat Bastard club :mrgreen:
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

Good stuff!

btw, you were a lot more polite to that guy in the red kayak then I would have been.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I found myself yelling at the guy while watching the video Rik....my wife asked me who I was talking to......
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good show mate. The kids cheering was classic.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

Best video...ever!! :cheers:
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Have to disagree with you Fishpirate......clearly this is the 2nd best video....this has always been the best one.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trootin

Post by Trootin »

Beautiful! Very nice fish also, that is something to be proud of.
Team Young & Good Looking

Post by 13 »

Very jealous! I havent had any time to get out this year, and most days I could have gone, the winds have messed it all up. That is a beast of a poon though! Well done, sir. Well done indeed. :cheers:
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Wow that pics says it all! Why don't you pick on a big one next time :lol:
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis