Wilderness Tarpon 120

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
mrpj1972

Wilderness Tarpon 120

Post by mrpj1972 »

Picked this angler edition up a couple weeks ago for $500 w/paddle & rudder. According to serial number, it was made in June '03. Not a bad looking boat for 9 years old!
Just had the standard seat back still in place, so I started hunting down a good seat. Picked up this gently used Surf to Summit last week. Haven't got to try it with the new seat yet. Hopefully it will help knock the skunk off this thing... no luck my last two outings.
Now I need to start rigging up my crate. I'll post my updates here.
JoeS

Re: Wilderness Tarpon 120

Post by JoeS »

Nice Boat.......I swear it looks just like my very first Kayak which was also built in 2003......I sold the boat to a member here from St Pete his name was Rod really nice guy,he used to post a lot then just disappeared.....Anyhow Good Luck with her......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

The guy I got it from had it posted on c-list. He lives over in Clearwater & was selling it to fund his sail boat project. Said he traded a guy a paddle board for it. If it was yours, you wouldn't happen to have the Attwood rod holder that belongs in the center console would you....? What's the answer for storing things in the center hatch? I would like to put my phone & what not in there, but it's just a big empty space....
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

mrpj1972 wrote:What's the answer for storing things in the center hatch? I would like to put my phone & what not in there, but it's just a big empty space....
Typically there's a "dry" bag that fits in there
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

Hmmmm, wonder if any of the local guys have that in stock.....?
Rik

Post by Rik »

There's a reason he put dry in "". It's a bag but it is not dry. Don't put anything in there that can't get wet.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

mrpj1972 wrote:Hmmmm, wonder if any of the local guys have that in stock.....?
The only place I would even guess is Canoe Country, but it might take you longer to drive out there than to have it shipped. 1/1000 chance of dicks, SA, west marine, or boaters choice. You might try these guys if you frequent the auburndale area
Rik wrote:There's a reason he put dry in "". It's a bag but it is not dry. Don't put anything in there that can't get wet.
Learned that the hard way! Even a dry bag inside of that "dry" bag got soggy.
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

Boaters Choice was a no, but they did have one Attwood rod holder that will work with the base plate that is already on the center console. Dick's was also a no. So I guess I'll mail order one.
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

I've pretty much given up on finding any useful equipment locally. Tackle too. TFO was the best thing to happen to my tackle box in a while
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

Boaters Choice had a great selection of lures. Might try poking my head in at West Marine to see what they have. Would like to find a 5lb bell anchor too.
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Its really a sweet kayak even sweeter with the new seat in it but there is one thing missing out of thos pictures PJ. Where is the paint can that thing was awesome i might have to find one myself. :D
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

For being 9 years old, that kayak is in damn good shape.

The seat looks real comfy too.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

bassboy wrote:Its really a sweet kayak even sweeter with the new seat in it but there is one thing missing out of thos pictures PJ. Where is the paint can that thing was awesome i might have to find one myself. :D
Funny you say that, I was just tonight trying to figure out how I could secure it to the kayak with the center bungies. Was wondering if Lowes or Depot sell them empty with lids.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Most people with that model take the center hatch and rear hatch and put a peanut butter jar in it to make it water tight. I havent done it yet.

Its on youtube........

~Dave

Creatures of Habit, Tallahassee Florida
Rik

Wilderness Tarpon 120

Post by Rik »

IMO a peanut butter jar is required equipment. Tether the top with a thin line thru a siliconed hole and you have a dry box that makes a decent bailer.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Yeah I'm thinking more and more of doing that in my T140........... esp the rear hatch which is mostly useless.

~Dave

Creatures of Habit, Tallahassee Florida