A couple of firsts at the Fort

Flamingo to Big Bend
americanrobster

A couple of firsts at the Fort

Post by americanrobster »

On Saturday, my girlfriend and I took to the waters of Fort Desoto at day break. The water was still murky from Tropical Storm Debby, so we knew that the fishing was going to be challenging.

We arrived at our first area of interest and spotted schools of mullet and a couple of tailing redfish that refused every offering that we had to put in front of them. We then decided to move to another spot which I landed my first fish ever caught on a Mirrodine (First number 1). I can now admit that I have been missing out by not using a Mirrodine.

Here’s my trout that couldn’t refuse the Mirrodine

After I caught my trout, my girlfriend hooks into a nice flounder which got off the hook and was granted another day of freedom.

A couple of these guys dropped in for a landing

Permission for take off

Now it’s about 10:00 AM and the heat and humidity is starting to kick in, we proceeded to move to another spot that looked fishy and we met a nice lady who was new to kayak fishing and granted us permission to fish the area where she was fishing. So we all began to talk and fish when all of the sudden the lady hooked into something big. After all the drag stopped screaming the fish was reeled in and she caught a nice 19 ½” redfish. After my girlfriend and I assisted the nice lady with landing her redfish, I began to fish and hooked a redfish that I fought until it spit the hook. On the very next cast, I hooked and landed my very first redfish caught from a kayak on a soft plastic! I caught an 18 ½” redfish on a ¼ oz DOA Silver Mullet Paddle Tail (First number 2).

All in all, a great day with a couple of firsts was had.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Heywood

Re: A couple of firsts at the Fort

Post by Heywood »

Nice Hat :cheers:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
americanrobster

Heywood wrote:Nice Hat :cheers:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

I'm surprised the racoons didn't come snatch your fish out of your hands!
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
americanrobster

DirksFishin wrote:I'm surprised the racoons didn't come snatch your fish out of your hands!
Good thing they were all asleep.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'