PB Cormorant

Capt. Jack

PB Cormorant

Post by Capt. Jack »

My wife and I made a trip out to the Withlacoochee River in Dunellon over the weekend. I've seen hundreds of these birds and they are typically very skittish. This particular "water turkey", as my FIL refers to them, was anything but.
Our tradition is that of the first man who snuck away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.
DirksFishin

Re: PB Cormorant

Post by DirksFishin »

He figures hell why run from the things I get free fish from. The easy life. I've had them follow me in my kayak before they're sneaky.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

How'd it taste? :shock:

I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself. I'll go stand in the corner now.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

The “water turkey” AKA “snake bird” is an Anhinga, I have another name for those things.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

I thought that was a Cormorant?
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

Anhinga bill is straight as an arrow while a Cormorant's bill has the hook downward at the end. I'm sure there are more differences, but that's the easiest to spot first for me.
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Anhingas are called water turkeys because of their large fan tail or snake bird because of when they swim only their head and neck is above the water and it looks like a snake. However, I just looked them up using the ever popular and of course totally accurate Google and it appears as though Capt. Jack is not the only one calling the cormorant a water turkey. In all my life I have always known the anhinga as a water turkey, shows what I know I guess.

That bird is definitely a cormorant. They are just plain ugly. And even though the turkey head is kinda ugly there is no similarity between the two birds that I can see, maybe someone can enlighten me. :chicken: All those crazy smily faces and no turkey??
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve