Sight Fishing Assistance

Mike Hodge

Sight Fishing Assistance

Post by Mike Hodge »

I've been looking for a way to manage standing, spotting a fish, putting the paddle down (quietly), picking up the rod and casting --- all while keeping my eyes on the cruising fish. Well, help may be on the way. Check this out. Several nice photos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Re: Sight Fishing Assistance

Post by BearsFan »

That thing looks pretty good. Three observations.
-It will be a pain to pole your kayak around with that rod tip so high in the air. It is hard to navigate around all of that hanging line. Hopefully the rod holder is adjustable
-That stripping basket looks a little on the small side to be of much use and it is on the wrong side of the stand, tough to unfoul a line from up there. I bet it works great as a beverage holder though.
-That kayak would not be fun to paddle in the seated position.

Somewhere on here is a thread for a diy model I made with pvc that has served me well. Just my $.02
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

I'm definitely going to take a look at it, though.
Rik

Post by Rik »

BearsFan wrote:Somewhere on here is a thread for a diy model I made with pvc that has served me well. Just my $.02
http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... &hilit=pvc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

[quote="BearsFan"]That thing looks pretty good. Three observations.
-It will be a pain to pole your kayak around with that rod tip so high in the air. It is hard to navigate around all of that hanging line. Hopefully the rod holder is adjustable
-That stripping basket looks a little on the small side to be of much use and it is on the wrong side of the stand, tough to unfoul a line from up there. I bet it works great as a beverage holder though.
-That kayak would not be fun to paddle in the seated position.

Somewhere on here is a thread for a diy model I made with pvc that has served me well. Just my $.02[/quote

As the paddling while seating, I think the U-Stand folds down.

You said you --- or maybe someone else --- had diy plans? What about the guy that had the Native?

Mike
Rik

Post by Rik »

Mike Hodge wrote:
You said you --- or maybe someone else --- had diy plans? What about the guy that had the Native?

Mike
Check the link in my post just above yours.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Might be a good couple evenings to check out those areas we discussed a few weeks ago. I'll compare notes.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Rik wrote:
Mike Hodge wrote:

Mike
Check the link in my post just above yours.
I saw that thread. Just trying to get more detail on the Native setup. Not a big deal, though.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

DaveR wrote:Might be a good couple evenings to check out those areas we discussed a few weeks ago. I'll compare notes.
Dave: Job hunting plans may change my fishing plans. Not sure if I'll make it out in the evening this week or not. May have to hit it in the morning, which isn't the best tide. But I've been taking Bears' advice and standing a lot more, so I don't need as much water to see fish.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

$199 for the U-Stand; $129 for the basket. Think I'll pass. I could buy a damn gheenoe and trailer for everything that I put into my kayak. I don't need anymore stuff. I'll just practice standing and transitioning to casting smoothly. It can be done.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Mike Hodge wrote:It can be done.
Are you in an Ultimate? Using a stripping basket? Definitely do-able, you could practice at night on the lights.
Approach standing, drop paddle (hopefully leashed) and pick up rod.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

DoubleM: The under-the-lights scenario, I can handle that OK. It's the cruising fish that gets me, because of the element of surprise and the limited window of opportunity. But you're right, it's good to practice in as many scenarios as possible. This morning I fished a high tide (too much water to really sight fish), so I just used it as an opportunity to practice paddling/poling and casting while standing.
Rik

Post by Rik »

http://www.floridabackcountry.com/rodmate.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That will hold a fishing rod or a paddle.