PFTS Survey

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

PFTS Survey

Post by Todd »

In the next few weeks I will be asking the PFTS participants about the formats/locations/times/etc. All this to see what we could possibly do different or better next season.

We had five events this year-

Dynamic Duo-two rods,two lures.
Mystery Lure-you show up we give you lures.
Tackle Box-bring whatever you want.
Erick Bell Memorial-a one lure challenge where Erick picks the lure.
My lures are better-you pick one lure to fish with.

Here is what we would like to know.

What is your favorite format and what is your least favorite format? Answer with honestly pls, you are not going to hurt anyones feelings.

My favorite format is the Dynamic Duo, that is a true challenge, if one thing goes wrong your day could be ruined. Two rods and two lures is very tough and requires a lot of thinking as to what lures to use, leader size and you better tie damn good knots.

My least favorite is the Tackle Box, too damn easy. Requires little thinking outside the box.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: PFTS Survey

Post by ChrisR »

I like all of the formats. My suggestion would be to swap the locations for the formats, and possibly the order of the locations. It seems like the locations and formats are the same every year.... Dynamic Duo- Southshore Mystery Lure - Weedon Tackle Box- Ft. Desoto, Etc.
Maybe you could put all the locations and formats in a hat and draw them for each event. That way we could fish the locations during possibly different tides and weather conditions than we normally have.
It could be a fun thing to incorporate into the last event for each year. Top 5 AOY finishers could each represent a tournament for the next year, and pick a location and format out of a hat. 1st place picks the fisrt tournament' s location and format, 2nd picks the 2nd...
Might also be a fun thing to do at a paddle in. Or you could do it at home when you are setting the schedule....no matter how it gets done, I'd like to see the "dice" shaken up for a little variety.

Either way, I love these tournaments, and will continue to be a participant regardless of changes.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

My only thought for the pfts is scheduling. Two of this years tournaments took place on a Saturday before a major holiday. Thanksgiving and Easter. I just can't get big days like that off and I would guess some might be traveling on those days. I would have made 2 more tourneys this year if not for that.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
BentRod247

Post by BentRod247 »

Hey Todd, been reading up on the tourney's and intend to start fishing the next series along with a couple friends. All the formats look pretty interesting to me. Looking forward to getting out there with you guys.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Im with ChrisR on shaking up the format and locations a bit. The only thing I might add is that it seems an odd coincidence that we have so many full moons adjacent to the tournaments...I think I heard Rik mention we had 3 full moons this past series. I know we all have to fish the same elements, just that I rather not have that hurdle to deal with. I like it when a lot of fish are caught personally. Other than that...if it ain't broke...don't fix it :!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Scheduling was a real problem for me, just like vlap said. Plus another one was a moving target with the date changing at least 3 times. All of the formats are fine although I think you should make one fly rods only.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

My favorite was mystery lure.

My lease favorite was tackle box.

I also agree with ChrisR on mixing up locations and formats.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I liked mystery lure most.

Least favorite was Eric Bell - I wasn't too keen on the lure (kept fouling the tail) and I goofed where I fished, but that's a user error.

How about a randomly generated tournament?

Matrix of 3 items

Lure
Colors
Use this site to generate randomness. Pretty easy assign 1-10 to lures, 1-10 for colors, 1-6 for location.

Super Bowl/BCS Championship Format? Declare a lure and who ever wins the Super Bowl/BCS Championship use the winning team's away colors. Dunno - just blue skying....
JB
SILVER K

Post by SILVER K »

Just what Chris said and expand the area little more.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Personally, I think the one lure challenge is the best!
:cheers: :D :thumbright:
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Have them on Sundays and Thursdays when I'm off!! :mrgreen:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

What about a 2 man team tournamant? Chris has some good points. Add a 6th tournament at the end of the series, have a central checkin and weigh in and fish where ever you want with whatever you want.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

bassboy wrote:What about a 2 man team tournamant? Chris has some good points. Add a 6th tournament at the end of the series, have a central checkin and weigh in and fish where ever you want with whatever you want.
I am not doing 6 events, sorry, but that ain't happening. Five is enough.

A central check in with wide open boundaries strays too far from our core mission to have a tournament that on any given day every angler stands a chance. I believe our formats take anglers out of their comfort zones and create a very level playing field for all involved.

Out of 60 possible winning slots (3 slam, 3 snook, 3 red, 3 trout) we had 38 different winners. Those are numbers that prove that everyone stands a chance.

And, it only costs $10.

We would like to do a 2 man tournament pairing vets with newbies. That would be fun and, hopefully, get a lot of guys that stand on the fence to come out and join us.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Todd wrote:
bassboy wrote:What about a 2 man team tournamant? Chris has some good points. Add a 6th tournament at the end of the series, have a central checkin and weigh in and fish where ever you want with whatever you want.
I am not doing 6 events, sorry, but that ain't happening. Five is enough.

A central check in with wide open boundaries strays too far from our core mission to have a tournament that on any given day every angler stands a chance. I believe our formats take anglers out of their comfort zones and create a very level playing field for all involved.

Out of 60 possible winning slots (3 slam, 3 snook, 3 red, 3 trout) we had 38 different winners. Those are numbers that prove that everyone stands a chance.

And, it only costs $10.

We would like to do a 2 man tournament pairing vets with newbies. That would be fun and, hopefully, get a lot of guys that stand on the fence to come out and join us.
That sounds like a workable idea as long as you can get one for one and no one is left out. Also to know who your partner might be a couple of weeks ahead so you might be able to at least fish once together and form a game plan.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Scheduling is something that will always be a problem for some....including myself. Would a Sunday tournament help out any of the guys that work on Saturday.

I love the OLC and the PFTS series. I have always like the different formats

I did not like the Extra $10.00 for the season long pot. This is a fun Club level series, if you start to get too much money envolved I think it ruins the FUN

I tried to have a "Top Gun" session online after the tournaments - Where the top competitors offered some insight on how they caught fish that day. We do this in several of the sailing classes I race in. If the top third of the group keeps beating the shit out of the bottom 2/3 you will start to lose anglers

Promote the tournament series as fun. some of my friends get all spooked when you say "touranment" - Hell my wife Leslie won a third place trout in a OLC and she can't/won't unhook a fish. - Invite your friends

Todd - Rik - MarkM would you like some of us to volunteer to help out in the check in or weigh in ????
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Paul wrote:Promote the tournament series as fun. some of my friends get all spooked when you say "touranment"
:idea: "PFCS"
"Paddle-Fishing Clash Series"

NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve