Greetings from Nokomis

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
RevJoeyG

Greetings from Nokomis

Post by RevJoeyG »

Just saying hello, i'm new here and new to the sport. I just picked up an Old Town Osprey 14ft canoe and look forward in getting out and fishing. I have gotten some awesome ideas from this forum and am really excited about doing this.
I have had other boats here in Fla and up north but its been a long while since I paddled anything. I am all about getting the exercise especially at 56 but must admit I am planning a trolling motor set up LOL.
I would love any constructive suggestions for a newbie so I don't get defeated before I get started!

Thanks in advance and hopfully i'll meet some of you along the way,
Joe
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Re: Greetings from Nokomis

Post by Deek »

welcome
Jackson, Big Rig
Rik

Post by Rik »

Keep the top of your head pointed up. If you point it to the side, you'll tip over.

Don't lip sea trout or spanish mackerel like some people lip bass.

Every paddle stroke away means at least one paddle stroke back.

Paddle upwind away from the launch so you'll be paddling downwind on the way back. Of course wind shifts often kill this rule.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Welcome and enjoy. I live in Sarasota and there is some good fishing down our way no matter what those guys up in Tampa try to tell you.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
RevJoeyG

Post by RevJoeyG »

Thanks guys for the info..I want to get out and am chomping at the bit to do that but the wind has been up today and I don't want to be that new guy that can't get back in. Is there any rule of thumb with wind and paddle power, besides good common sense LOL?
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

The best rule of thumb I know is when in doubt don't go out. As you learn the different launch areas you will almost always be able to pick some place where you can launch and get in out of the wind. I have been out on days when it was blowing 15 or more and was able to get back in the mangroves where it was nice and calm.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

My friend Bob who I used to sail with said the most important rule to remember is "Never get on a sailboat when you see a palm tree with all the leaves on one side".
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died