Jackson Cuda

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

Jackson Cuda

Post by Rik »

I got to use a Jackson Cuda for the day yesterday at PFTS #3 thanks to Steve M. Gibson, aka shallowpockets.

First off, it is obvious that Jackson listened to an angler or two when they designed the kayak. Too often I've paddled boats supposedly designed for anglers only to wonder if they even asked an true angler anything. For example, there are several places to store the Plano type tackle boxes. Take your pick for what works for you instead of having to use the one the builder thought you should use.

There are paddle, stake out pole and fishing pole parks with more than enough bungees all over the place. The front combing has notches to lay your rods in so the don't side around. The whole kayak is full of "damn, that's a good idea" items.

This kayak has a removable seat that, as Norm pointed out, is very Native-esq. I found the seat just as comfortable as the Native seat which now means they can't say they have the most comfortable kayak seat on the market, IMO. Plus, it's design, without a full seat pan, makes it easier to use as a beach chair.

The chair (it is more chair then seat) has a raised and lowered position. I spent the first hour or so in the lowered position but then raised it up. I wish I'd left the beach in the raised position. I found little to no difference in stability in the raised position. Feels like about 3-4 inches higher.

The kayak is designed to be an easy boat for those who can stand in a kayak. It has an absolutely flat floor. It is not as stable as my Native but, to be honest, I'm not the most balance guy around. I did stand in it, using the included (again, one of those good ideas) stand assist strap to get up and back down. I'm not one who could stand and fish from this kayak but most of those who still have their balance would have no trouble. To be clear, it's me, not the kayak. If you want a kayak you can stand in, give this one a try.

The Cuda is not a speed demon but it also is definitely not a slug. I'd put it on par with a Tarpon 14 (I've owned a Tarpon 14) for regular paddling. In a sprint I think the Tarpon might beat it but how often do we sprint? If you lost a sprint to a Tarpon 14, you'd do so in a lot more comfort.

One point Steve made clear before I launched - you need to keep the scupper plugs in. If you don't (I pulled them out to see) little geysers of water will shoot up if you paddle fast. The water flows right back out as fast as it came up but the backs of your legs will get wet. You'll also get a bit of a chuckle at the geysers. In the hot summer time it might actually be a good thing to keep them out.

The rod tip 'garage' is a nice idea but I doubt it will work for many salt water anglers. Anything longer then a 7' rod, and most all of us use rods longer then 7', wouldn't fit without putting the fishing rod in one of the many rod parks alongside the boat. This would put the reel behind you and at the waters edge. Not where I want my reels.

I liked the big center hatch in the cockpit. While I didn't use it at all yesterday, I can see where I would if this were my kayak that I was using a lot. Since I've pared down what I carry in my milk crate, I could see myself not using a crate at all with this kayak. Everything and more would easily fit in the center hatch.

It moves along nicely, tracks well, is comfortable to sit in, has lots of useful angler features and comes in many angler friendly (read: non-neon) colors. The one I used was called Urban Camo and looked pretty nice. This one should be on your 'try it out' list.

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/cuda/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, thanks Steve! Sorry I gave it back to you in such a mess. No opportunity to wash it down.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley