A BIG First For A Special Lady!

Flamingo to Big Bend
americanrobster

A BIG First For A Special Lady!

Post by americanrobster »

I have been telling my girlfriend about going fishing on the kayaks for some time and finally 3 weeks ago we got her out on her first kayak fishing expedition at Fort Desoto. The day was short and I hooked up to a couple of small trout and passed the rod to her to let her reel them in. All of the trout were caught on a 1/4 oz DOA Night Glow shrimp.

Last week, January 15, my girlfriend and I launched the kayaks at Clam Bayou in Gulfport to do a little exploring and see all of the hard work that has paid off with the planting of new sea grasses and the removal of many non-native species of plants. We then paddled out to the open bay braving the wind and caught a couple of trout with the Night Glow DOA Shrimp. We called it a day as the fishing was slow and the wind was stirring up the water, but we had fun nonetheless.

So after talking all last week about the previous two trips I told her that she will get better with the DOA shrimp with time and a little practice and patience. She then began to do some research on the Gold Glitter DOA shrimp and told me to tie one on for her and I did the night before we left. So we arrive at Fort Desoto and paddle out to a couple of sand holes and I get the skunk off the kayak with a dink trout caught on a gold spoon.

Next we decided to move to an area with sandy bottom and an outgoing tide were she catches her first trout with the Gold Glitter DOA shrimp.

Then I catch this guy which was caught on the Night Glow DOA Shrimp.

By now it's getting close to sunset and she's a little sore from standing so she took a break to get off her feet and I said to her "hey, grab that rod with the gold spoon and take a couple of casts with it" and the first cast yielded her first BIG flounder that she took home and cleaned and cooked us for dinner!

I can now say that I landed a keeper after eating that pan fried flounder that she made.

Now she's hooked and she can't stop talking about kayak fishing!
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: A BIG First For A Special Lady!

Post by sfurman »

Nice flounder, great days on the water!
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve