Ft. Desoto parking fees...

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Ft. Desoto parking fees...

Post by Norm »

Just heard they had been boosted to 5 dollars....is this what we have to pay just to get into the park?
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Ft. Desoto parking fees...

Post by Todd »

Yes. They collect either at the toll booth or just after, not sure exactly.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I think the are putting a "new" tollbooth just past the campground entrance.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

I wonder if that means we could still launch on the beach now for free?
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Mark R wrote:I think the are putting a "new" tollbooth just past the campground entrance.
Correct! I got to enjoy the park yesterday for the last time before the $5 fee will be charged.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Sully

Post by Sully »

My understanding is you areonly charged to if you use the beach, campground or boat ramp. All other uses, pedestrians and the like aren't charged.
TRUE
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Sully wrote:My understanding is you areonly charged to if you use the beach, campground or boat ramp. All other uses, pedestrians and the like aren't charged.
How would they police that....seems you would have to stay in your car... :lol: What about the fishing piers? Sharon and I have gone over to just walk out on the piers...but that seems excessive for just that :?
Yakmatt

Post by Yakmatt »

I camped there the week of Christmas and talked to one of the rangers about the fee. It still wasn't totally figured out. If you camp the fee is waved but you have to use your camp window ticket to drive to the piers or beach. The booth is set up at the new bridge near the T. They might stop charging after 430 or 500 (ranger was fuzzy about this) so you could use the pier for free from 5-11. I think there would be no charge to put in across from the campground or even, up before the bridge (watch the tide if you do). It looks like the east end is gonna cost you or you can get some exercise and paddle around BF key.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

This is a picture that I took with my cell phone of the new "toll booth" that charges the $5 fee. The toll booth is located past the entrance of the campground.

I'd sure hate to be the guy cooped up in that thing.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Visitors swallow first day of $5 fee at Fort De Soto in Pinellas

As a non-Pinellas resident, I don't mind paying a user fee for Fort D. But it looks like I won't have to since I park before the new toll booth. Go figure.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

If you park and launch before the toll booth you do not have to pay. I believe if you go even to walk the piers and you park in the parkinglots you will have to pay unless you are camping and you display your camp ticket. On the news I heard they are doing this to comp for alot of the budget cuts. Pretty soon they will be installing redlights with cameras lol.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

SnookBait wrote:If you park and launch before the toll booth you do not have to pay. I believe if you go even to walk the piers and you park in the parkinglots you will have to pay unless you are camping and you display your camp ticket. On the news I heard they are doing this to comp for alot of the budget cuts. Pretty soon they will be installing redlights with cameras lol.
According to americanrobster above, the $5 parking toll booth is by the campground, so it seems that one can still park & launch the kayak just past the 35 cent booth for free... for now.

As a side note, we are either going to pay more in taxes to fund public services or we are going to pay user fees. I'm not sure how fair it is for people of limited means, but it is what it is... for now.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Rik

Post by Rik »

Is the new toll booth up and operational?

What is being done at the old toll booth?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I support the user fee, it's a fair system you use it, you pay for the privilege.
Why should the Pinellas residents pay to support something that is being used by people who are from outside the county.

$5 per car load is still inexpensive.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rik wrote:Is the new toll booth up and operational?

What is being done at the old toll booth?
Yes, see above.

Still collecting the .35 toll.

I don't mind the $5 toll, for what we have at Ft Desoto that is relatively inexpensive. As far as the fishing inside the park goes it will only get better as a lot will, more than likely, not pay the $5. Sometimes a negative can be a positive.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote:
Yes, see above.

Still collecting the .35 toll.

I don't mind the $5 toll, for what we have at Ft Desoto that is relatively inexpensive. As far as the fishing inside the park goes it will only get better as a lot will, more than likely, not pay the $5. Sometimes a negative can be a positive.
Collecting .35 at the first one and $5.00 at the second one? Does it really cost $5.35 to go out to East Beach?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley