Long time no report

Flamingo to Big Bend
seeinred

Long time no report

Post by seeinred »

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted a report. I've been doing most of my posting on facebook, so for those of you who are my friends there most of this is probably old news, but since Todd asked here goes..

The mild weather we've had (up until yesterday) has been great for the fishing. My clients, friends and I have been catching lots of nice fish. Target species has mainly been redfish, trout and flounder, but some snook have snuck into the mix especially on warmer post cold front days. I've been planning most of my trips specifically around the low and negative low tides and I've been launching every where from UTB to Ft. Desoto. Seems the fishing has been hot every where! Enjoy the pics... looking forward to seeing y'all at the next PFTS!

Most of October was spent catching big over slot schooling redfish. The first couple weeks of October was producing big numbers, some days upwards of 20 fish. These fish were caught the day of the ALDS game when the Rays played the Rangers at home. Found a school of fish that day that would not stop biting... we actually left them to leave for the game. I had just bought the hat in the pics the day before, and this was its first fishing trip. Thinking I had scored big with a new lucky hat, I thought the Rays had it in the bag... but it wasn't to be. Thankfully the redfish hung around long enough to quell the pains of witnessing two loses in a row at home.

Over Thanksgiving break my girlfriend was home from school and I had a chance to get her out in the kayaks. The night before we saw John Fogerty live at Ribfest (awesome!) so we got a late start and the tide was already pretty high. Not to be out done we still found the fish and ended up catching about 20 of them. Mostly cookie cutters but she got her first, and largest redfish to date at 23"!

Warmer weather and passing fronts have had the snook fired up... haven't really been targeting them, but the warmer temps have kept them out on the flats and ready to eat!

On this day, Trent and I caught over 50 fish. I caught mine on the Lil John by MirrOlure and he caught his on a dart by Exude. At the end of the day when I had only used one soft plastic (all day!) and he had used an entire pack of darts, I had him converted to the Lil John!

I got out with Brad from GAFF magazine to do an article about low tide kayak fishing. We had a banner day catching some 60+ fish, mostly trout but great quality fish - biggest fish were in the mid 20" range. We also caught redfish with a few over slots and 7 flounder. The article should be in the January edition, check it out!

Got my buddy Jordan out who was back in town to check out some low tide spots. First spot was getting over run by mullet boats so we decided to relocate. As soon as we got to the area I wanted to fish I spotted a group of fish near some pot holes and hooked up instantly. We stuck about a dozen fish before heading in for lunch at Ted Peters!

I'm working at Osprey Bay Outdoors in Clearwater now and am really enjoying it. I was finally able to get Sean who I work with out for a day in UTB. We found fish everywhere and the sight fishing was outstanding. Here's a 30" fish I sight cast to with a CAL shad tail.

Christmas eve I fished with fellow board member MikeT and we had a great day catching trout, flounder and tailing redfish. Had one of my best days in recent memory on tailing fish catching 5 and losing 1 to a broken knot. The fish were very aggressive in the fog!

Mike had to be in so I called up my buddy Sam to come get on 'em with me. I picked him up, we stopped and ate lunch and relaunch a few hours later. I had to do a little searching but I found my school of fish still happy and tailing! We caught a few more each before finally calling it a great day.

The day of New Years eve Trent and I got out and caught some hefty trout with slot reds mixed in. In a few hours we caught 5 trout between 21-24" with several more mixed in and about a dozen reds. Lots of shorts but some nice ones mixed in. The next day, New Years day I took my girlfriend back out to the same area and we really got on 'em. We caught around 10 trout over 20" with the biggest being 26" (my second in three days). She got a few with her biggest being 24"!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year, thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. See y'all in 2012! :cheers:

PS - Check out this months feature article in Onshore Offshore for an article by me and a cover picture by fellow forum member Jose Chavez!
Last edited by seeinred on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: Long time no report

Post by sfurman »

Those are some fat trout!
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Nice report even nicer fish, some lovely Trout!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Um..a..Wow! Wait, what I meant to say was...WOW!
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Great report and pics. Thanks!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Thanks Spencer!
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

You suck :evil: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding :mrgreen:

More trout pics please :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Spencer, posting pics of her around here is like taping a cigarette bikini on her and parading her through the prison yard.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

:thumbleft:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

22acrowd wrote:Spencer, posting pics of her around here is like taping a cigarette bikini on her and parading her through the prison yard.

For me, it's more like a red badge of courage. :wink:
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Outstanding report and pix! Thanks!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Great fish and pics :thumbright:
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Those are some gators!
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
Rik

Post by Rik »

And you were worried you'd suffer the Samson effect....... :wink:
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Damn nice fish! I had to admire the shots of the young lady modeling the fish. You have an awesome job bro!
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Congrats on your success, hope the bizness goes well,