TFO spinning rods?

Flamingo to Big Bend
22acrowd

TFO spinning rods?

Post by 22acrowd »

Anyone use them? Specifically the tactical series? I picked one up in the store the other day and it felt good. Looks like a steal at $150 bucks.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: TFO spinning rods?

Post by ChrisR »

I've not used the tactical series, but have a 4-10 lb Loomis series. It isn't as light as they say, but for $100 it has been a great rod. I use it with spoons mostly, but also with suspending plugs, and on occasion lightly weighted soft plastics. It's not the most sensitive rod out there, but it does it's job just fine, especially at it's price point.

Post by 0119 »

Been using the saltwater series since they came out. I was leary at first cause Ive hated every TFO fly rod Ive picked up. They have become one of my favorite rods. Mostly because they come in a 6ft.'er which is so rare these days of 6'8" and 7"2" rods. They are true to action, more so than St. Croix rods. Very comfortable reel seats, something also rare in spinning rods these days.
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

I've been using the TFO spinning series for several years now. The Gary Loomis signature series are a great price point, but as others have pointed out are not the lightest nor the most sensitive rod out there. For it's price though, it is a great deal, and also comes with a life time warranty. I have personally sent back several rods to TFO, they have been very speedy with processing my rods and getting them back to me... each time within only a couple weeks.

They've recently released what they call the Tactical Series of rods. These rods are considerably lighter and more sensitive than their counter parts. I have been using the 7'3 & 6'9 4-10lb ML and 7'3 8-17 M for the last several weeks. Aside from being lighter and more sensitive, they're built with much better components. Stainless steel guide inserts to prevent corrosion, a better reel seat to correct previous issues, and they've removed the fore grip for increased sensitivity. At about $150 retail, they are a great deal.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer

Post by 0119 »

What were the 'issues' with the reels seats?
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Adhesive holding the corked section around the reel seat coming unglued. From what I've been told and from what I've seen in their newer rods they have corrected the problem.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer

Post by 0119 »

Good to know. Ive been lucky no problems w/2 of them yet, going on over a year.