Mounting a Hawkeye FF3355P Fish Finder to a Kayak

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
jandbrare

Mounting a Hawkeye FF3355P Fish Finder to a Kayak

Post by jandbrare »

This is a handy little portable fish finder and depth gage. It is designed to be towed by the cable leading to the receiver with a float attached to the cable about 12" above the transducer. Where I fish, the cable and transducer could easily get tangled in grass, worse, lily pads. So, I decided to contain the transducer in a vertical section of 2" PVC pipe, which it fits in perfectly.

I used machine screws to mount a 1" PVC pipe section to the deck of the kayak:

Then, I slipped on a 1" x 2" tee and a section of 2" PVC pipe:

Not pictured is a section of wood paint-roller handle that screws into an adapter on the transducer, just barely visible in the above picture. With this, you can pull the transducer out of the 2" pipe, rotate the transducer so that it is shooting horizontal and stick it into the water. Man, do I see a lot of fish when I do that. Can't catch them, but I see them. :roll:

I put a long nail through the handle so that the nail rests on top of the 2" pipe and the paint-roller handle supports the transducer, not the float.

Jerry
Kayakpirate

Way to go!

Post by Kayakpirate »

Dude ..... I LOVE IT. I was trying to figure out how to use mine without the loose tran banging all over the place. This is great, thanks for sharing the pics. 8) 8) 8)
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Good idea, but 12" of 2" PVC dragging in the water fixed to the kayak seems like it would create a lot of drag and noise moving through the water.

Have you water tested it yet ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
jandbrare

Post by jandbrare »

krash wrote:Good idea, but 12" of 2" PVC dragging in the water fixed to the kayak seems like it would create a lot of drag and noise moving through the water.

Have you water tested it yet ?
Krash, it is noisy when paddling even 2 mph, and of course, it does create drag. But, the resistance is not really noticeable. The noise is, however. When fishing, I start out moving slowly from the landing down the north shoreline casting as I drift, so there is no turbulence and the noise is not noticeable. If I decide to paddle across the lake to fish the south shore, I definitely hear the turbulence. Once on the south shore, I'm back to drifting and paddling slowly. When I fish for Crappie, I just paddle to the middle of the lake and let the wind drift me. Again, no problem with noise when drifting.

If I were going to do a sustained paddle at 3 to 4 mph for several miles, I'd probably take the pipe off the arm. I didn't glue either joint to the tee. I might try dragging the transducer by the cable in that case. I haven't tried that, yet.

Jerry
Kayakpirate

Not going to lock mine in place

Post by Kayakpirate »

I'm going to alter some what making it lock into the cup or pole holder. This way giving me the ability to deploy when I'm ready not causing any addition drag on my kayak. :idea: I will play around with it see how it works out.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
jandbrare

Re: Not going to lock mine in place

Post by jandbrare »

Kayakpirate wrote:I'm going to alter some what making it lock into the cup or pole holder. This way giving me the ability to deploy when I'm ready not causing any addition drag on my kayak. :idea: I will play around with it see how it works out.
Be sure to post a picture when you are through inventing.

Jerry
jandbrare

Alternate Ways to Use Mounting

Post by jandbrare »

Here's the way, I normally use it:

Note the paint roller handle extending from the 2" tee:

If the turbulence noise is objectionable when paddling for sustained periods, the 2" pipe can be rotated out of the water. If you want to continue to get depth readings, remove the paint-roller handle and suspend the trans by the cable with the float as a stop:

Jerry
jandbrare

Gluing Transducer Inside the Hull

Post by jandbrare »

I used Loctite Extra Time Epoxy to glue the trans to the hull behind the seat of my 12-ft. Design Concepts Kestrel. The package says, "Bonds most plastics".

Okay, I roughed up the bottom of the boat with sand paper and wiped it thoroughly with lighter fluid and created a puddle of epoxy on the spot. I stirred it well, and then pushed the trans into the puddle, twisting it left and right to make sure the epoxy was fully covering the face of the trans and there was no trapped air.

After gluing the trans, I noticed on the container that it says, "Will not bond polyethylene or polypropylene products." Too late, as I'm pretty sure the hull of my boat is polyethylene. But, I let it cure for 24 hours to see how it would do.

It looked like it bonded okay but I didn't put a lot of side load on it. I bundled the 30-ft cord that is connected to the trans and tied it to the stern rod holder below the upper deck, leaving 6-7 ft. of cable to connect to the receiver.

I took it over to the lake this afternoon and was pleased to find that it works. Depth readings were similar to the readings I got when I put the trans in the pipe holder that I reported previously. The lake was choppy, so the bottom of the boat must have been flexing, but the epoxy bond held and the readings were continuous.

That "puddle" of epoxy that I set the trans in may come loose like a fried egg one day, but I've got my fingers crossed. I hope it holds, as having the trans permanently mounted is more convenient and less noisy than having it in the pipe holder over the side.
jandbrare

Re: Mounting a Hawkeye FF3355P Fish Finder to a Kayak

Post by jandbrare »

Sorry to report: it eventually peeled off the bottom. :(
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

You used the wrong glue. You need Marine 5000... Stuff is made for plastic kayaks.. Tackleshack has it in PP.
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
jandbrare

Post by jandbrare »

Fishaddict wrote:You used the wrong glue. You need Marine 5000... Stuff is made for plastic kayaks.. Tackleshack has it in PP.
I searched the TackleShack site for 15 minutes trying to find this stuff. Would you be more specific, please. I also Googled "Marine 5000". Nothing.

Jerry