Stability v. Utility

ZeroSix

Stability v. Utility

Post by ZeroSix »

All,

I am in the process of selling a kayak in order to purchase a new one. I am getting rid of Hobie Outback Mirage Drive (see Classified Ads) as I have two of them in order to make way for a different boat, but have not decided which to purchase just yet.

This is where this post comes in – I do a lot of standing, poling and sight fishing and am looking for an appropriate kayak and would like to get experiences/opinions.

I have looked at the Commander and Pro Angler and understand the benefits and challenges of both.

-The Commander is light, comfortable, stable, affordable and easily transportable. The down side for me is the fact that it is not a “self-bailing” boat (a.k.a. it does not float) which could be a challenge on the some fishing trip I do over on the east coast.

-The Pro Angler (Hobie) is NOT light and NOT cheap but is very stable and comfortable and is self bailing.

I have already sought some advice on this purchase and I am appreciative of the individual feedback that some of you have given. If I have not heard from you and you have pertinent and helpful information to share I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
Rik

Re: Stability v. Utility

Post by Rik »

Joe,

As you know, I have a Native Ultimate 14.5. I too was concerned that it is basically a canoe in form and would fill up with water. In the few years I've had it, I have only filled it once and that was in a poorly executed launch off the beach. I hauled it up on the beach (think fighting a big tarpon is tough? Try hauling a Native full of water up the beach), bailed it out and relaunched successfully using a few more brain cells.

I've not yet been overly concerned when out on rough water. I have, though, had to make liberal use of my trusty peanut butter jar to bail out water. Native, and I would suppose Wilderness, has plans working for float bags to use in rough conditions. I see myself getting one when they come out.

I have read the story of the guy who purposely filled his Native to see how it worked out. He ended up swimming it to shallow water as it was unbailable. That thought is in the back of my mind when off the beach but I've not yet seen anyone in a Native or Commander get in that predicament.

So, unless you are fishing in 4+ foot breaking water, I wouldn't invest too much worry.

The Pro Angler is an interesting boat. Not sure it can be called a kayak. It's weight - requires a trailer -has always been an issue for me. I know there are people that love them.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Native Girl

Post by Native Girl »

Joe,
I have the Commander and I do a lot of standing/sight fishing. I've found the the design of the bottom of the Commander makes it a bit difficult to move forward and aft while fishing, and it's a little "tilty". I'm 5'03", 150# so it's not a size issue. You have probably a 12" (or less) area to work with that is flat to stand on. If I tried to stand on the humps the plastic gives and bows. I didn't care for that much either. After a few hours of standing, my feet were sore. I can only assume it's becasue of the shape of the base where I had to stand. The Commander has a 30" base as the PA has a 38" base. I have personally seen a guy stand on one side of the PA without it tipping over. That's what basically sold me on the PA; that and all the storage room and mirage drive. This is just my two cents worth. Hope it helps! :D
Robbi
Hobie Pro Angler Dune
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

ZeroSix wrote: The down side for me is the fact that it is not a “self-bailing” boat (a.k.a. it does not float) which could be a challenge on the some fishing trip I do over on the east coast.
I don't leave home without it-

You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

You could also check out Freedomhawk kayaks. Adequate for paddling, a solid home run for standing. 12 and 14 foot models. Self bailing too ...

http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

pag_yaker wrote:You could also check out Freedomhawk kayaks. Adequate for paddling,
If you like paddling a barge. I have paddled a freedom hawk, it was a rough paddle.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I have the native 14 and I don't worry about the chop and slop sinking the boat. I don't go out in those conditions regardless of the kayak i'm in. It's just to unpleasent. The thing you really need to worry about is other power boats swamping you. I've had it happen at shell key. It was not enough water to sink me but it was close enough. I have pics of a guy at Egmont in a Native and in a heavy chop and he was having a hell of a time getting back in the boat to launch.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

See avatar. That's how I spend most of my time fishing now, sans the fish. Natives rock.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

The Wilderness Ride might be worth looking at.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/produc ... creational" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
brunz36

Post by brunz36 »

I just got a commander a few months back and couldn't be happier with it. I stand or Im on the commander seat at all times. Although after standing a while on my feet, it would start to hurt a bit. But my brother works for a jet-ski or something and he was able to get that hard foam(or whatever, i dunno whats the name of it) that you stand on when you're on those dumb things. It has helped out a lot. If anyone wants some Ill bring some to the PFTS #1.

redfish

Post by redfish »

Just get a Wilderness Systems ride 135. Easy to paddle,tons of storage and stable.
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
noles

Post by noles »

redfish wrote:Just get a Wilderness Systems ride 135. Easy to paddle,tons of storage and stable.
Yet you have a 2009 Tarpon 140 Angler?

Joe if you do "a lot of standing, poling and sight fishing", the Native Utimate 14.5 is the way to go. I'm a little biased though, since I have one myself. I have not tried the Commander but they one thing that stands out on the Commander that I would not like is the foot well. I would thinking standing on that would be a pain in the ass. I think having the Outback and the Ultimate, will cover all the type of fishing you will do. I have the old school tarpon 160 and the ultimate. I fish out of the ultimate most of the time but if I'm covering a lot of water or the weather was sketchy I would bring the 160.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

All,

Excellent points and good debate. Thank you for your input.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC