Mayflies

Chief1600

Mayflies

Post by Chief1600 »

I travelled with the boss to Lake Rosalie near Lake Wales yesterday to look at a potential project. While there I noticed a large number of big mayflies, probably be a size 6 or 8? The bodies, without tails and antennae were close to an inch long, sort of a medium brown in color.
I found some interesting information while trying to figure out what they are, I've seen them but didn't realize that mayflies were that abundant in Florida.
Not that I ever get time to fish but, are they a significant food source for bass and bluegill, such that you could use dry flies?

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/dist ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/4/Insect- ... a-Mayflies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just curious
Sorry, didn't think about taking a picture.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
FlyFishermanUGA

Re: Mayflies

Post by FlyFishermanUGA »

I guess I'm qualified to answer this being I'm probably the only entomologist on the forums.... In Florida, I doubt mayflies make up any large part of any fish diet. They just aren't in abundance for long enough time. Though if the fish keyed in on a "hatch" then they would definitely feed on them.

In south Georgia we used to use a lot of hopper/dropper patterns similar to something you'd fish for trout for in Montana. Use something that floats really high for the top water action and tie on a Hare's Ear or Pheasant tail 18-24 inches off the back of the hook and wear out some blue gill and small bass in the summer. Those patterns match the terrestrials up top and then dragonfly/damselfly nymphs on the bottom flies.

Fly
"You can't fix stupid"