Camping and such

size matters

Re: Camping and such

Post by size matters »

I am not new to camping I own tents now and have been camping my whole life. I just never did it from a kayak. The state parks here will not let you hang anything from a tree so that is a limitation for the hammock. So I am in search of some cool places a little more remote. Florida is a lot different. I have been in florida for eleven years. I am from upstate new york and grew up in that enviroment. I think the snakes and alligators in this area limit camping for me and being up off the ground and being able to be comfortable is important. I know a few places around boca grande that we may be able to go to if anyone is interested.
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

If you're gonna spring for a tent and bag, consider an air mattress too. Not very macho, but much better for sleeping than the ground or pads. Jungle hammocks are fine, but don't give you any privacy (assuming you're taking your lovely bride too).
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

r3krobert wrote:If you're gonna spring for a tent and bag, consider an air mattress too. Not very macho, but much better for sleeping than the ground or pads. Jungle hammocks are fine, but don't give you any privacy (assuming you're taking your lovely bride too).
But they keep you out of the snakes, gators and bugs if you're camping in summer. Oh and if you're gonna get a hammock.........get a good one. :oops:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Mark R wrote:
r3krobert wrote:If you're gonna spring for a tent and bag, consider an air mattress too. Not very macho, but much better for sleeping than the ground or pads. Jungle hammocks are fine, but don't give you any privacy (assuming you're taking your lovely bride too).
But they keep you out of the snakes, gators and bugs if you're camping in summer. Oh and if you're gonna get a hammock.........get a good one. :oops:
So what is the bad one you had?
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

bigguy wrote:
So what is the bad one you had?
I don't remember, not sure it had a mfg name, but I bought it at a Army Navy surplus store for $40 had a plastic roof, should have known better. But it did(does) give a bunch of people something to chuckle about. :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
floridalawdog

Post by floridalawdog »

I would definately be interested in a kayak camping trip in the winter months. I have been looking into the upper little manatee river. Theres a canoe outpost, and I was told that, for a fee, they will drive you 25 miles up river and you paddle all day, (downstream), and camp when and where you wish, and then finish the next day. Sounds like a good time.

As far as buying gear, I have purchased a lot of stuff from steepandcheap.com. They sell climbing, camping, hiking gear. They have a new deal every 30 minutes, and the deals are usually over 50 perent off. They also sell costas for over 60 percent off from time to time. You just need to be diligent in watching for the deal your looking for. They sell tents, sleeping bags, sleep mats, lanterns etc. I love that site.

This is the place I am speaking of http://www.canoeingfun.com/tripslmr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

trust me on this one 25 miles is way too far to try and cover in one day, especially on the Little Manatee there are a lot of twists and turns on that. I did 5 miles and it took a good 6 hours and thats without any fishing time.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

John wrote:trust me on this one 25 miles is way too far to try and cover in one day, especially on the Little Manatee there are a lot of twists and turns on that. I did 5 miles and it took a good 6 hours and thats without any fishing time.
I believe that is intended to be a three day, two night trip...camping.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

3 days would still be pushing it for 25 miles
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
size matters

Post by size matters »

Im going to plan a camping night on hoagens key I think this is spelled right. Check out This place on Boca Grande. Its a short distance away from the launch and it is pretty cool as long as the skeeters go away. grab yer snuggies and let me know if any of you are interested. It is primitive camping. I am guessing sometime near october it will be cool enough with light skeeters. and yes DaveR if you can find a spelling error or mistake you are invited too. So tell all your friends.lol :gossip:
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"