Camping and such

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Camping and such

Post by Todd »

Thanks to JayB I had one of these, now on permanent loan to Uncle Tommy-

http://hennessyhammock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Works very well and is comfortable. When it is cold out I would rather have a tent.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

I have both Clark and Hennessey hammocks. I don't care for the "crawl in through the bottom" entry of the Hennessey. I LOVE my Clark NX-250!

BFR
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Todd wrote:Thanks to JayB I had one of these, now on permanent loan to Uncle Tommy-

Works very well and is comfortable. When it is cold out I would rather have a tent.
A friend of mine in NC calls his hammock a bear pinata! ha!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Todd wrote:Thanks to JayB I had one of these, now on permanent loan to Uncle Tommy-

hmm, I seem to remember me giving you that Hammock!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

John wrote:

hmm, I seem to remember me giving you that Hammock!
Thanks to JayB and then John...
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

You could always get a blow up mattress and pump. Then you could bring your favorite banky and pillow. I've found the ground is much harder than it was when I was a kid.

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

I have been wanting to get into camping and the Hammok tents look like they would be awesome. Has any one used one with a smaller child? My son will be 2 soon and probiley 3 by the time i start taking him. Would one be suatabile for the 2 of us to sleep in?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

bigguy wrote:I have been wanting to get into camping and the Hammok tents look like they would be awesome. Has any one used one with a smaller child? My son will be 2 soon and probiley 3 by the time i start taking him. Would one be suatabile for the 2 of us to sleep in?
I doubt it, you would be crammed in a hammock tent with two people.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Todd wrote:
bigguy wrote:I have been wanting to get into camping and the Hammok tents look like they would be awesome. Has any one used one with a smaller child? My son will be 2 soon and probiley 3 by the time i start taking him. Would one be suatabile for the 2 of us to sleep in?
Unless, of course, you get into one of the Clark Vertex tandems:

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/vertex/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are the best sleep you'll ever have outdoors, IMO, but they're not cheap.

BFR
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

BigFlyReel wrote:
Todd wrote:
Unless, of course, you get into one of the Clark Vertex tandems:

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/vertex/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are the best sleep you'll ever have outdoors, IMO, but they're not cheap.

BFR
Hell that could hold me my wife and my kid, for a little while.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Mark R wrote:I have a lightweight Coleman bag that I discovered is waterproof........when I discovered my cheap assed Wal-Mart tent leaked, not just a little!
I like the Coleman bag though I do have a thicker one for "winter".
Mark, didn't you used to use one of those jungle hammocks?
:-B
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Skeeter wrote:
Mark R wrote:I have a lightweight Coleman bag that I discovered is waterproof........when I discovered my cheap assed Wal-Mart tent leaked, not just a little!
Mine works fine (hammock) but it's not as nice as the ones they are talking about. And I was using the thicker bag up at your place with cheap assed tent #2 that leaked not just a little through the sides, roof and floor, and the thicker bag is NOT waterproof! That su...tunk, everything I had with me in clothing soaked and it was cold. Lesson, spend a little more money on da tent!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Mark R wrote:
Skeeter wrote:
Mine works fine (hammock) but it's not as nice as the ones they are talking about. And I was using the thicker bag up at your place with cheap assed tent #2 that leaked not just a little through the sides, roof and floor, and the thicker bag is NOT waterproof! That su...tunk, everything I had with me in clothing soaked and it was cold. Lesson, spend a little more money on da tent!
Actually I was thinking of a Manatee River camping trip.
Jungle hammock hung over edge of river bank, rope breaking in middle of night, an unnamed camper rolling toward water in Coleman sleeping bag :drunken:
Lesson: Spend a little more on da hammock.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Skeeter wrote:
Mark R wrote:
Skeeter wrote:
Actually I was thinking of a Manatee River camping trip.
Jungle hammock hung over edge of river bank, rope breaking in middle of night, an unnamed camper rolling toward water in Coleman sleeping bag :drunken:
Lesson: Spend a little more on da hammock.
Ohhhhh, that......uhhhh yea! That was a different hammock, not much left of that one after the "roll". Yea spend a little more on the hammock too, I did on the next one! :oops:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
size matters

Post by size matters »

I want to do some camping in florida and really like the clark hammock but damn they are pricey. I would have to justify a few trips buying this pig. Do a lot of the members anywhere near englewood camp here in florida. I know there is a trip every year near goodland marco area. I am going to miss this one have baby due at end of october.

The big question-can someone direct me to camping areas that are remote near my location? Is anyone interested in planning a trip? I have heard of fisheating creek. Is there a good saltwater area to camp were you could use the clark hammock? Of course it would be better to plan a trip when cooler. Any insight would be great.
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Only two parts of that I could comment on.
As to the expensive jungle hammocks, start with a tent before you make a big investment in something that will sit on a garage shelf most of the year.
If you enjoy it enough to upgrade to the Martha Steward campground, you can sell the tent on Craig's List and pay the difference down the road.
As to waiting till the weather cools down,,,, yes.
To me Florida camping is much more enjoyable in the spring, winter, and fall.
Main thing is just throw some stuff together and get started. A 4X8 piece of plastic, frying pan, and a couple blankets can get you into some beautiful places.
Good luck.