Jax Kayak Fishing Classic - Congrats to the Cook!

MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Jax Kayak Fishing Classic - Congrats to the Cook!

Post by MarkM »

Well, the Cook n'Crew was at it again this weekend. CooknFish added another kayak to their fleet by taking first place in the flounder division. He also got ninth biggest slam. But it was easy for Mark; there were only 405 other guys fishing, and he had never fished this tournament before, so I'm pretty sure it was beginner's luck! :lol:

Congratulations Mark, and thanks again for letting the rest of us fish with you. :mrgreen:

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Jax Kayak Fishing Classic - Congrats to the Cook!

Post by DaveR »

A Leg End for sure!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Mark Bellotte is the man!!

I sat at the table with him at the captain's meeting hoping some of that would rub off .... it didn't. :?

I got STORMED off the water about 12:30. Gale force winds, lightning popping around. :shock: Finally made it to a boat slip. figured if I wasn't touching the pilings lightning would go down through the wet pilings as long as I wasn't touching them. I mean, I WAS sitting on plastic which is an awesome insulator ... well, isn't it!?? :shock:

Finally got back to the room about 2pm. Took a shower, hit Hooter's for a couple pints and some wings, made a showing at the weigh in. Tired and whupped, I headed back to the room for a nap. You'd think that after all that lightning I'd be sick of it but that nap helped me stay up to watch the REAL Lightning whip them Bruins!!! WOOHOOO!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Congratulations on that Flounder, Mark. That is some real fete to be the locals and on your first time in that tourney.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Gil we were worried about you 'cause we did not see you at the weigh-in. Glad you made it back.

Our day started early only to have to wait at the gate until about 6:30. It was almost 7 before we got in the water. We knew the wind was going to start at some point so I planned to paddle a different trek than I did during pre-fishing. The first cast of the day with a CAL Fiji Chicken shad tail got eaten and it was the winning flounder. "Decent fish" I thought to myself but the winner? The thought had not crossed my mind. I paddled to the area I was paddling to and found a single trout that did not look healthy. That was the only bite I got in that area so I paddled back to the main lagoon where I last saw the guys. I had to pass a power boat that was anchored up near the opening I paddled through and I made a cast... another flounder. I guess they didn't like me coming by and catching more fish than they did in just a few casts; they left. I rounded the point and started catching redfish after redfish. Erick was passing by and stopped to take a few pictures and catch a few of his own. Then he took my advise about the flounder on the point and caught a couple. Todd showed up and fished the same spot and didn't land a single fish. All I heard were all these excuses. "The net is too short... the rod is too long... the hook isn't sharp... the sun is too bright... your boat is an ugly color and scares all of my fish...." By 9:30 the bite shut down but we continued fishing and hoping. Done fishing at noon and back to the check-in before 2pm. We didn't see any rain until we got back to Jax because we were about an hour south.

When Mike checked my pictures in I was in 1st in the slam. Then 398 other anglers showed up and I got bumped out of the slam division. As for taking 1st Largest Flounder, it was dumb luck, not beginners luck. :oops: :lol:

I'm especially glad events unfolded the way they did. Between having friends to hang out and fish with for a tournament that I was not even planning to fish in an area I have never been before (I just wanted the goodie bag and raffle tickets), the fishing area that fell into our lap (I still don't remember the name of the place but I'll never forget how to get there), not being effected by weather due to location, totally unexpectedly winning largest anything, seeing family I haven't seen in 25 yrs... It's been a perfect whirlwind weekend!

Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
JKL

Post by JKL »

Mark

Congrats on the win and new kayak.

JKL
JKL
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

CooKnFish wrote: Gil we were worried about you 'cause we did not see you at the weigh-in. Glad you made it back.
Thanks Cook for y'all's concern. It was quite a hair raising experience to say the least. With gale force wind gusts and lightning popping all around one feels so puny and helpless!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Congrats on the win. :D
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

just how many kayaks do you have by now. Congrats.
0 0 1
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

One can NEVER have too many boats Shamus, but we definitely need a house with a bigger yard!!!! lol
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Well if that doesnt take the cake...LOL. I'm seriously considering going to both tournaments next year....not to fish...but to be the designated Kayak Hauler for CooknCrew :roll:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
kspops

Post by kspops »

Norm wrote:Well if that doesnt take the cake...LOL. I'm seriously considering going to both tournaments next year....not to fish...but to be the designated Kayak Hauler for CooknCrew :roll:
A new job in the transportation industry.... Cook N Crew Kayak transports. :mrgreen: "You win it, We move it"
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

It's a good thing they aren't giving away donkeys... you'd really be hauling ass.
budump-bump
:lol:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

Mark, congratulations. Well done my friend.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
GatorTroutBoy

Post by GatorTroutBoy »

Well done bro. Nice AF shirt too. :cheers: :salute: :-B :sunny:
~Mike~ aka GTB