Want to build a Anchor stick.

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
BiGDiLL

Want to build a Anchor stick.

Post by BiGDiLL »

Probably about 6-7ft. Any suggestions on some stuff I could pick up at Home Depot or Lowes? And for how much? Happy New Year!
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Want to build a Anchor stick.

Post by krash »

For my kayak I simply used 1/2" PVC with a T couple 1" peices of PVC and 2 end caps.. been using it 3 years has not broken yet.

I cut the business end at a 45 degree angle, stuffed in some news paper in both ends, filled the ends with some 5 minute epoxy.. leaves a hollow chamber as floatation. Through the cente of the T i drilled a hole, insert a bit of line tie off a knot, glue it all up and I'm done.

Only porpblem is on very hard bottom you can;t stick it.. I added a 12" piece of bungie to add some stretch and a clip to the end of the line.

Stick it in bottom, clip to deck loop of trolley line.. has plenty of flex for wave action, if I geta big bite I can either just pull it and allo it to float along attached to the yak, or drop it and run.. floats so you just come back and pick it up.. weighs almost nothing. I also have a Stick-it 7' pin, solid, sinks,and is heavy.. but it works great for the flats skiff.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Whatever you use, FLOATS is a valuable description.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jgpaddler

Post by jgpaddler »

krash,
Thank for your info. I have been using a 1/2" length of pvc but never thought of the floatation and the 't' handle with end caps.
I did build a spare/emergency single paddle from a blade found on the shoreline using pvc as a shaft, 't' fittings, and end caps on a few inches for a handle. Never connected the dots for the anchor stick!

jgpaddler
Keep paddling, keep fishing, leave no trace.
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

I also made my own and now only use my actual anchor as a backup. I used 3/4" PVC because I wanted the little extra strentgh since between my kayak, gear and my own weight.....well you get the picture. Also, on my Native Manta Ray, during travel the stick pole fits perfectly in my factory paddle holder which I rarely use. I will try to post some pics later.
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

i found an ancient fishing rod made out of fiberglass. It wasnt worth restoring so i stripped it, tapered the end, painted it white, drilled a hole at the top put some small rope through wrapped the rope through about 20" down the rod drilled another hole and put the other end of the rope through. This made an excellent handle. The tag end of the rope at the top was uni-uni knotted with a longer rope and a clip.

$3 for the paint
$2 for the 48' of cammo rope
$2 clip
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Purchased shuffleboard cue for $3.00 at thrift store, works fine.
A bit of pool noodle & it floats.
Cut angle on end & plugged.

They had one left, the deluxe model for $4.00.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Kevinadams104

Post by Kevinadams104 »

Used 3/4" pvc 8' peice bought a tee and 2 caps all3/4" bought a tent stake shaved it down with a grinder to where it was a very tight fit stuffed the pole with foam used heavy duty silicone at both ends crammed the stake in and at the other glued on the tee and caps cost me about $7 then made a leash with 1/8" bungee and a cool little velcro strap they sell at walmart for secureing spools of rope. It floats and light weight and for $7 compared to $80-$100 you cant beat it
DavidtheProducer

Post by DavidtheProducer »

What's that for? I don't understand the concept...I heard someone talking about having one earlier today but don't really understand what it is...should I have one of those on the yak I'm about to buy? Or is it something I'll need to add?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Fiberglass pool cue. Less than $20 at Walmart. Lasts forever.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
1okbyme2

Re:

Post by 1okbyme2 »

DavidtheProducer wrote:What's that for? I don't understand the concept...I heard someone talking about having one earlier today but don't really understand what it is...should I have one of those on the KAYAK I'm about to buy? Or is it something I'll need to add?
AKA stakeout pole. Push it in the mud & tie off to it. Also used to fend off capsized kayakers.
Alternative to anchor. Mostly a matter of preference, as there are advantages to both.
I now have both on the boat.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
DawnPatrol234

Post by DawnPatrol234 »

Any depth over 5' I use an anchor, anything less, a stakeout pole....which means 90% of the time I use a stakeout pole in conjunction with an anchor trolley.
I started with a AFTCO tag stick that I found for $15, it worked well but was stiff aluminum that would eventually pull free in rougher waters.
I then bought a 8' Stick-it Pin for dual use on the kayak & 22' bay boat. Good idea, but too heavy for the yak, so I bought the 5'5" model. Perfect stackout pole; easy to use, flexes in heavy current or boat wakes and carried in the extra paddle holder no problem. I did add a short section of pool noodle to the shaft for floatation.
I would recommend the the Stick-it Pin or the Wang stakeout pole over a DIY type, if it's in the budget.

5'5" Stick-it Pin- $50, I added a section of pool noodle between the handle & the rope keeper.
http://shop.stickitanchorpins.com/Ancho ... cstrfrnt04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wang Anchor pole- $80
http://www.wanganchor.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a company I just came across, great deal for a 5' fiberglass stackout pin..on sale- $32
Palmetto Kayak Fishing Stakeout Pole
http://www.palmettokayakfishing.com/fiberglasssop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ocean Kayak PRO STAFF ~ TEAM SouthRiverOutfitters ~ Dunkin-Lewis PRO STAFF ~ Johnson Outdoors
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Do a search of my posts.

Complete instructions on how to make a stake out pole, very strong, floats, camera mount and best of all, its cheap.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Rik wrote:Fiberglass pool cue. Less than $20 at Walmart. Lasts forever.
Adding a 3/4" PVC tee (mine is friction-fit, but could glue it) over the rubber bumper at the butt of the cue gives you a good push-down handle. Little chunk of pool noodle for flotation and helps keep it quiet against the side of the yak.

Greg

____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"