New reel really works

22acrowd

Re: New reel really works

Post by 22acrowd »

CooKnFish wrote:
22acrowd wrote:
Phnd wrote:I've been using Okuma VS-40's
There is your problem.

I've been fishing braid for at least 6 years. I've used just about every brand of braid. Ever since I went to Suffix and Samurai, I can't remember the last time I got a knot.

I use Daiwa and Shimano reels.

That can't be an issue. I used Okuma VS reels for many years without issue.
I am now using Wright & McGill Sabalos with no issues.

When are you guys going to start paying attention and stop spreading this BS? I bet you also believe shutting the bail by hand solves wind knots, too...

Wind knots are not a product of what brand reel you are using. There's no magic spool that eliminates the problem. Wind knots are caused by several factors that come into play with each other. The problem starts with the bait you are throwing. Jerkbaits, spoons or jigs on crappy jigheads that spin create line twists. If you run your leader knot through the guides or use a slow action rod, it slows the line down at the front of the rod when you cast. The line coming off the reel is moving faster than the line at the front of the rod allowing the line twists up on itself. Pfffft.... a wind knot is born. Another common problem that occurs when using a weightless jerkbait of something similar is when you pop and twitch your rod tip and you are reeling at the same time, you can reel a slack loop into the spool. This is where the myth about closing the bail by hand came from. The loop doesn't occur during the cast, it comes from your retrieval technique. There are some reels that perpetuate this more than others but every reel I have used is capable of doing this. The only thing that can fix it is you. Pay attention to the way you twitch and reel. If you look at your reel instead of the other end while you are fishing, you'll see that when the line goes slack while you crank the reel the line bows out further during the rotation. You might even hear it slap the rod sometimes. When that loose line gets spun onto the spool, the "loop" or loose line that rides up on the lip of the spool causes friction and can grab that loop and shoot it out the guides before its time to come off the reel. Pffft... another wind knot is born.
It's all you...

And for those of you that still refuse to pay attention, try FINS Windtamer braided line. This line is slightly thicker and a lot stiffer than other braids which cuts down the possibility of the line twisting up on itself and does a wonderful job at reducing wind knots. I use it on all my client/newbie rods.
Sweet melt.
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

I don't have any problem with my 4000 series and compared with you really serious fisherman I'm just an amateur.
Rik

Post by Rik »

My Cuban YoYo never gets wind knots
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Cook has officially taken my place as the arrogant asshole around here. Well done Mark!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

No idea if this is a good deal or not, but Cabela's has a special on the WaveSpin reels.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/WaveSpin ... t104849280
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

DaveR wrote:Cook has officially taken my place as the arrogant asshole around here. Well done Mark!
Right on! :thumbright: It's about time...
BTW, you want these britches I've seem to have outgrown??
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Yesterday I used WaveSpin's newest model the DHXL. It's smaller than what I'm use to so it felt a little odd at first but worked fine and has more than enough stopping power. For such a small reel it's quite strong.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
pbr

Post by pbr »

I have two and thats the size I use with my ML rods for all inshore, super light, with a great drag.