size question

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Evan

Re: size question

Post by Evan »

Whether you're doing the shuttle thing or not, I can guarantee that the less gear you bring, the better time you will have. Might be tempting to lug along camp chairs, big coolers full of beer and a double stove with complete cookware, but all that does is slow you down and make more work every time you move.

Everything you need for a 4-day trip (and I mean all your food, gear, EVERYTHING) should fit in one of those plastic storage bins (with locking lid to keep out water and critters) and a dry bag. If you cannot pick up and carry everything you brought in one haul, you have too much stuff. It takes some careful planning to make it work, but it's a beautiful thing when it does.

I've mentioned this to many friends over the years, although few take my advice on their first trip. Many of them, however, have converted to the minimalist approach after they realized how much time and effort was wasted lugging crap around that they didn't even really need.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote:Everything you need for a 4-day trip (and I mean all your food, gear, EVERYTHING) should fit in one of those plastic storage bins (with locking lid to keep out water and critters) and a dry bag.
Why stop there? Everything (again, your everything) could be carried in a 50 pound backpack. Some can do it in a 20 pound backpack.

However, if you have a boat lugging all your stuff (and not charging by the pound) why not use the capability of the ferry? There's plenty of times to go on a minimalist trip but once you throw in the ferry, minimalist is out the window.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Evan

Post by Evan »

Even with the ferry, everything you bring has to be unloaded, unpacked, set up, taken down, cleaned up, repacked and loaded again each time you move. Might be tempting to bring the kitchen sink with the ferry to carry it, but you'll still waste a lot of time dicking with gear when you could be out fishing.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

great point, I think we thought we would set up a base camp and just come back the next night. Is that not so?
Evan

Post by Evan »

There is usually a 1-night limit on the chickees because of high demand. You are supposed to be packed up and on your way to the next one by 11am each morning. That means you go through the entire process of packing/unpacking/setup/takedown each and every day you're there if you stay on the Chickees.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

There are campsites where you can set-up for multiple days. Most of the beach and ground sites are that way. If you haven't already, google "Wilderness Trip Planner" and check out the PDF that the Park has. It will tell you all of the sites, and how many nights you are allowed to saty if you get one of the spots available. It has a bunch of other information that will be very helpful to you if it is your first time down there as well.
Rik

Post by Rik »

just so happen......

http://www.nps.gov/ever/upload/Wilderne ... r_2009.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/ma ... 20Preserve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Awesome Guys!
I think this is just what I am looking for. :thumbright:
Rik

Post by Rik »

When doing the planning, first do some research on weather for that time of year. Find what is usually the normal wind direction. When picking a spot to camp, choose the windward side. This will greatly aide you in nasty damn biting bug defense. Plus you'll get a bit of relief from the heat if it is cranked up at that time.

You'll also need to be prepared to make some changes a few days before the actual trip when you get a good forecast.

You'll also need to be prepared to make some changes the day you get there if your spots are already reserved.

In other words, stay flexible and stay in the breeze.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Understood, makes great sense. I do not know what to really expect so flexibility is paramount as far as I am concerned.