Getting started!

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Ryanrocksfender

Getting started!

Post by Ryanrocksfender »

Hey everyone! i wana get started in freshwater fishing from my kayak and from shore. I will be targetting bass but im open to catching anything. Im from the pinellas county area. If anyone has suggestions on where and what types of lures to use it would be awesome!
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: Getting started!

Post by sfurman »

Howdy, :salute:

For bass I like the Rapala F-11 in gold, I think it’s called, it is the original floater in black and gold with three hooks. I also like rubber worms, if the water is clear use a clear color if the water is black use a dark color, if the water is green use a green color. It is winter so it can be slow fishing. Work your lure slowly.

For pan fish like blue gills I like a small beetle spin type lure.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve

Post by 0119 »

Zoom Trick Worm with a /0 off set EWG worm hook. Twitch it weightless and let it sink. Work it slow. Get it in Motor Oil Black and watermelonseed.
Yamamoto Senko with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook like above, texas rig both. Or wacky rig with a circle or live bait hook, 1/0 size. Just throw it and let it work its magic as it sinks. When it hits bottom lift the rod and do it sink again.
Dont forget topwater for bass. Tiny or Baby Torpedo in any color and get a clear one for clear water. rip it gently a few inches and let it sit. Also get a Super Spook Jr. and learn to walk the dog. Do it anytime of day but try to get it as near emerged structure as possible.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

While we're discussing freshwater lures.. what are manufacturers talking about when soft plastics are "heavy salt" ?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.

Post by 0119 »

Both for taste, thinking the bass wont let it go and to make it sink without having to add a heavy bullet weight. Companies couldnt figure out how Gary Yamamoto made the Senko do what it does basically and had to come up with their own way of producing a senko like action. None of them work quite like his though.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

So the salt makes it sink fast and taste better.. got it.

While we're discussing the senko, do you think Mr Yamamoto's first name is really Gary or he changed it for marketing purposes in order to sell to American bass anglers?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.

Post by 0119 »

I bet he's american born maybe hawaiian. Taking full advantage of getting into the industry when the JDM craze went nuts in bass fishin'.