Return to Shell Key

snooker56

Return to Shell Key

Post by snooker56 »

I had some time off at the end of December (a rarity for a self-employed professional killer like me) so I decided to go camping for the last time in 2010. OK, actually I had been planning this trip for a couple of months; watching the calendar and the weather.

I knew it would be chilly, but that is not going to stop an experienced solo-camper as myself. So on Tuesday, December 28, 2010, I set out, fully loaded, for Shell Key.

The tide was loo-ow. I had to paddle out around the big sandbar yet still made good time (launched at 10 am, arrived before 11 am). I set up camp at one of my favorite spots, which was not hard due to the cold weather (I didn't think I'd have much, if any, company).

My view:

I had taken off my waders and decided to just do the camp thing for the rest of the day. I set up the obligatory campfire for later in the evening and went for a stroll. I found a path across the island to the Bunces Pass side and walked the length of the beach. Most of the way kicking myself for not bringing a rod!

The day wore on and I enjoyed the peacefulness of no sounds except the birds, the occasional stinkpot or airplane. I had packed fried chicken and baked beans for dinner and as always in the great outdoors it tasted magnificent. Ah, early to bed as I would be fishing all day Wednesday.

As I said, it was cold. I was sound asleep in my sleeping bag (drawstring pulled to just a small hole for a little fresh air) when I heard a strange noise. "What the hell is that?" I thought groggily. My freaking phone! I forgot to turn it off for the night!

I reached out through the hole and grabbed it, not in time to answer it mind you, and saw 6 am lit up on the screen. It was my Dad who had called. I silenced the cell and tossed it back in the wall-pouch. I tried to go back to sleep as it was warm and cozy in my bag, but try as I might, sleep did not return.

Oh, well...up for COFFEE! And a nice breakfast of applewood smoked bacon, eggs over medium and toast. Yum. Again the phone rings and this time I answer it. My Dad, again...who else? He was worried that I might have gotten hypothermia. I reminded him that I was well experienced and not sleeping in the water. I was momentarily not a happy camper. So I went fishing to change my mood (and attitude).

Well, as expected, the cold front had turned off the bite. The water was dirty so sight casting was out, out, out. I fished the mangroves, the shallow grass flats and the drop-offs in the channels to no avail. I had lunch at Sister Key since there is a picnic table there. I took this shot of Summer Resort Key from there.

And saw this little guy scurrying in the shallows:

After lunch I went to the deeper grass flats and fished some sand holes. I finally hooked up with this guy:

Unfortunately it was four days until open season on specs, so no fish dinner for me. I caught one more spec and that was that. I tooled around fishing different areas until about 4 pm and called it quits.

It would be back-up fried chicken and beans again tonight. It still tasted good, though some fried Redfish would have been better with my home-made hush puppies with guava jelly and bacon. Trout season will be open on my next trip; I will definitely have my favorite camp dinner then, rest assured.

That night, as the sun went down,

I had a much better campfire (it was kinda windy the night before and it had burned rather quickly) than the first night. Watch and warm yourself:

The last morning was not nearly as cold. Coffee and two apple turnovers today. Let's keep clean-up to a minimum on the last day. It was completely overcast as I broke camp and headed back to my truck, 'the White Whale'.

The last camping trip of 2010 was a success as I survived. I will always have the pictures and memories. Just no fish dinner! And a note to my Dad: Thank you for worrying, but please wait until a decent hour to call in the future. (And note to self: don't forget to turn the danged phone off!)

On to 2011!
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
americanrobster

Re: Return to Shell Key

Post by americanrobster »

What a great way to spend a couple of days. I wish that I had the time to do the same thing in such a great place. I hope 2011 brings the time to do so camping. Trout season is officially open today.

Happy New Year to you! :cheers:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

Nice read. Thanks.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Nice report, Thank you.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?