Paddling pains

Rik

Paddling pains

Post by Rik »

I have had back issues for a number of years that are structural. In other words, it isn't muscle strain stuff. Bad discs, etc etc. You learn to live with it, get out of the kayak at least once each hour and resort to happy pills when the ice pick is stuck in too deep. Over the past 6 or so months, though, I've developed a sciatica problem thru my right hip and down my right leg. Most of the time it's an annoyance, other times it's feels like a taser shot to my hip and my leg collapses. There are no happy pills for this.

Been doing the stretches and exercises. Lost a bit over 10 pounds and it made no difference. (no blindmullet, no comments are needed) Walking on a treadmill doesn't help it at all. The ortho doc just tells me I'm getting closer to the knife and bear it out as long as possible.

My dear Mother gave me one of the strangest birthday presents I've ever had - an appt with an acupuncturist. I've always teased her about the voodoo medicine she tries but went along with it. How bad could it be?

Well, it was wonderful. I didn't want to write anything after just one visit (on the 19th) but I had my second visit this morning and damned if it isn't working. After the first visit, when walking back to my truck, I realized I was walking without a hitch for the first time in a long time. By today it had come back a bit, only for a few hours at a time instead of all day and it wasn't as sharp a jolt. Taser with a battery that's about dead.

I'm pretty much convinced. I have a few more appts set up and then I'll see if it can cure it (with a few annual appts) or if I have to go once a week (which is not likely I'd do until I simply can't walk on it)

So, the moral to this story is if you have some aches or pains that traditional medicine can't resolve without keeping you doped up all day, give acupuncture a try.

The guy I went to is:

The Center for Traditional Chinese Medicine | Dr. Ruan Zhao | 3100 South Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, fl 34239
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Re: Paddling pains

Post by shamus »

I've sen Doc Han in Sarasota and have been very happy with the results. That said they can become as addictive as a chiro. Everything in moderation (other than good Rum) Go as long between appointments as you can. Stretching and yoga will also do wonders for you.
0 0 1
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Rik Have you ever considered your back pain is caused by your sizable mustache? Give it a trim and see if it helps. :lol:
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Shep

Post by Shep »

I feel your pain Rik. But mine is scar tissue that's left over from the surgery that's pissing off the nerves. I just deal with it because I don't feel like popping pills all the damn time. Thought about getting the little needles stuck in me before, but there's other things I need to spend my money on first.
New place, new fishing adventures.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

Rik, my symptoms mirrored yours and I had surgery in late 07. Significant relief but the problem still exists, just not as severe. At least now I can actually get out of bed instead of rolling out onto the floor. If you found something that works for you, stay with it. The Native seat has been a godsend, but when on dry land I would heartily recommend one of these,

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... EEQ8wIwAg#

I am on my third one and I use two lumbar pillows and a neck pillow. Absent medication, this gives me more relief than anything. I bought mine at Sports Authority for about 60 bucks and you can spend a whole lot more but this does the trick for me. Good luck, it is well worth the small cost.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

My problem is cartilege loss. Same symptoms you all list. I have lost cartilege in spine & settling vertibrae have pinched nerves. Doc said it is genetic. Underwent the knife (shaved the vertibrae) two years ago & bought some relative good time. Been eatin' glucosamine chondroitin like popcorn hopin' for the best. Symptoms are slowly returning however. May give that procedure a try when pain gets bad again.

P.S. thank God for the Native seat! :cheers:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
Rik

Post by Rik »

Curt, I heartily agree with that chair!

In one very bad spell a couple years ago, I moved the small couch out of the family room and lived in that chair for abut a month.

I've talked with many who have had back surgery and only a small percentage would call it successful. I won't consider the knife until I'm a full cripple.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Hey Rik,
I've had 4 spine surgeries over the years resulting in 7 levels of titanium in my cervical and lumbar regions. Before the surgeries, massage and Acupuncture were about the only things that seemed to help at all. Including epidurals, nerve root blocks and M.U.A. Believe it or not, My Dr (Acupuncturist/Physical therapist) said kayaking and wade fishing, along with weight loss were probably the best things I could do to help myself. I must admit though, after the surgeries I am now off of all medications and I can physically do just about anything I want. :thumbright:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Ain't getting old great !! All these aches and pains is just natures way of helping you relive your youth. Just the other day I got a twinge in my lower back that helped me remember dumping a motorcycle at 50mph when I was younger. Good Times, good times.
0 0 1
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

shamus wrote:Ain't getting old great !! All these aches and pains is just natures way of helping you relive your youth. Just the other day I got a twinge in my lower back that helped me remember dumping a motorcycle at 50mph when I was younger. Good Times, good times.
I used to love Body Slamming 300 pound ice carvings on the kitchen floor after the parties were over! :thumbright:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

When people are born they are supple,
and when they die they are stiff.
When trees are born they are tender,
and when they die they are brittle.
Stiffness is thus a companion of death,
flexibility a companion of life.

The Essential Tao
1 1 12?
saltwater_cowboy
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by saltwater_cowboy »

Cost per visit, Rik?
Mark

Here fishy, fishy, fishy......
Rik

Post by Rik »

$150 +/- for the initial depending on what herbs he prescribes.

$75 each visit there after.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Rik wrote:herbs he prescribes.

:cyclopsani: :?: :drunken:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

...and they have interesting names!

Ab Shen Bu Xin Wan and Fang Feng Tong Sheng Wan

Dude.........
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Any we can grow locally? :rr:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell