Jack Attack?

Hooked

Jack Attack?

Post by Hooked »

Hey y;all... I am returning (temporarily) from my exile in the savage wilds of Wash DC. Hoping to get a day on the water while I'm home from Dec 20-27th. I'd love to find a big school of jacks to put a fly in front of. Anyone seen the winter schools yet?

Company always welcome!
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
Mark R

Re: Jack Attack?

Post by Mark R »

Welcome back to the real world Lou. The weather just changed for the cold recently, the mac's and jacks were here before the change. Not sure about after.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Power plant's full of them.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Heywood wrote:Power plant's full of them.
Ditto - reference here.

You'll want to cross the channel and then look for churning water. Or look for the HUGE school of rays - you'll see the wing tips; cast outside the school. It'll look like a big ol' herd of small sharks. The schools I saw were about 30 yards by 50 yards, about 150 yards off shore.

Feeling lucky? Stay on the surface and cast into the mess. Jack will slam it and then run into every one of those rays when the fight is on.

By catch will probably be a ray, a shark(3-4ft) , ladyfish, and possibly (emphasis on maybe) a cobia. There's reds over there somewhere, but I haven't seen 'em.

Odds are you'll get the trashcan slam, but hope for cobia. Jacks should be there.

Unless you like catching people, flyfishing off the beach will be VERY difficult. You might be able to wade on the Southside, but I haven't seen anything there yet.
JB
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Anyone getting arrested this year?
Please, call me Kate
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Uncle Tommy wrote:Anyone getting arrested this year?
I must be missing something...with some restrictions it's legal here in Tampa to fish near the power plants.
JB
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

I haven't been there since the guys with the guns told me to leave.

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

jbdba01 wrote:
Uncle Tommy wrote:Anyone getting arrested this year?
I must be missing something...with some restrictions it's legal here in Tampa to fish near the power plants.
The Gandy power plant is more restirctive. Hard to get close enough without the guys in uniform calling you out. Someone got arrested there last year for going too close.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

The Gandy power plant has the signs up and just do what they say. The Apollo Beach power plant has open/close hours now, so you have to abide by the hours of operation. If you want an "After Hours" fishing pass, you can get one at the office at Simmons Park and the last time I checked with the Head Park Ranger at Simmons, they weren't charging for them.
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

kneedeep wrote:The Gandy power plant has the signs up and just do what they say. The Apollo Beach power plant has open/close hours now, so you have to abide by the hours of operation. If you want an "After Hours" fishing pass, you can get one at the office at Simmons Park and the last time I checked with the Head Park Ranger at Simmons, they weren't charging for them.
They are now. Over a hundred bucks for an after hours pass.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

kneedeep wrote:The Gandy power plant has the signs up and just do what they say.
Of course but if you stay outside the signs the fish are pretty much out of reach.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

You folks are just full of sunshine today.

Two inches of snow on the ground here, I am ready to come HOME!
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality