DIY Stake Out Pole

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
BadBackcast

DIY Stake Out Pole

Post by BadBackcast »

Total cost - $14.00

Green gardening stake from HD or Lowe's - 8 feet

8 foot legnth of steel screw

PVC T screwed in

There ya have it....

Initial tests on the water reveal that this is quite sturdy and fits in the scupper holes on my Malibu nicely...holds the kayak in place. It help up to my big ass standing up and poling around with it.

A 30 inch section of rope and brass clip complete the package
Rik

Re: DIY Stake Out Pole

Post by Rik »

Just a word of warning. Scupper holes in virtually all kayaks are a weak point. A stake out pole banging around inside them generally is not a good idea. Clipping it to an anchor trolley works nicely without potential for damage.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BadBackcast

Post by BadBackcast »

Ah! Thanks for the advice...but I have a Malibu....LOL! Kidding!

So this is bad even if the pole is plastic?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Really doesn't matter what material the pole is. It's a torque issue where the pole is on an angle inside the scupper tube - hitting one side at the top and 180 degrees away on the bottom. As the kayak moves around while staked, the pole will create some weird forces especially with you in the kayak. Scupper tubes just aren't designed to be torqued to the side. The only time I stake through a scupper hole is when I'm not in the kayak and, even then, typically stake off to the side.

When you look at how these plastic boats are made, it relies on molten plastic to flow into all the areas. Over the years, almost every company has had issues with thin scupper tubes at one time or another.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BadBackcast

Post by BadBackcast »

Ok Man! Thanks for the warning.....
Shep

Post by Shep »

Good idea. But WHOLLY HUGE PICTURES BATMAN!!!
New place, new fishing adventures.
Offlander

Post by Offlander »

I liked the idea so much I picked up all the parts at HD. A great low cost Stake Out Pole.

So that makes 2 of us now!!!

Thanks again!!!! :cheers: :crafty:
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Rik wrote:... Scupper tubes just aren't designed to be torqued to the side ... When you look at how these plastic boats are made, it relies on molten plastic to flow into all the areas. Over the years, almost every company has had issues with thin scupper tubes at one time or another.
I stake out with a sch40 1/2" pvc pole, thru the scupper. In my experience of building boats, troubleshooting manufacturing issues involving molds for boats, and repairing scupper holes in factories, I'm confident that this is a *relatively* safe method. If the pole has some flex, it will bend rather than the scupper connection. No flex in the pole, something ELSE will receive the stress.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Everything you wanted to know about stake out poles....and more!

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... =14&t=7074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BadBackcast

Post by BadBackcast »

I was looking for that post before Keith made these. I think the wooden dowel/pvc thing is a great idea....