Want to buy a Kayak! What is best for me?? Need Help!

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
fishingirl

Want to buy a Kayak! What is best for me?? Need Help!

Post by fishingirl »

Hi all. I love to fish and want to start kayak fishing. I have a lake cottage in Michigan. Just a small lake with good fishing for bluegills, sunfish, bass, perch, and pike. I may even want to take it down the Grand River. I am larger than some gals and want to be comfortable and Dry while fishing. I would also like room for my dog (25#) to go with me. What would be the best kayak for me. I prefer sit on type that is steady and won't roll easy. I need room for my fishing gear and poles, dog, and snacks along with somewhere to put my catch. Do I need something like the native angler 12.5 or the redfish or is there something less expensive that will still give me everything I need? I kinda like the idea of the flat bottom to stand up in but don't know if it is necessary. I just don't want to spend more time getting back into the kayak than I do fishing. Thanks
Rik

Re: Want to buy a Kayak! What is best for me?? Need Help!

Post by Rik »

Have you looked at canoes? Not sure what small is when describing the lake but a canoe sounds like a great option to consider. Especially with a dog that size.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

A canoe with a kayak paddle works great.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
fishingirl

Post by fishingirl »

Where my cottage is, there are 3 lakes connected by small streams that I could get through with a kayak and i could move a kayak over obstacles if neccesary. I would have a hard time doing the same with a canoe. That's why i was thinking about the ultimate 14, the native angler, the tarpon, or the redfish. I am not that big but I am 5'7" and about 200#. My dog is a miniature schnauzer and won't take up too much room either. I really want something easy to handle for fishing and pleasure.
Rik

Post by Rik »

When you really look at the Ultimate 14, it is a very stable canoe that was designed around a kayak paddle. That's not meant to be discouraging. I have one and really like it and it is a great boat for taking a dog along. The Wilderness Systems Commander series (in 12 and the new 14) are shaping up to be good competitors to the Native Ultimate series.

Most of the sit on tops - SOT - present difficulties in taking a dog along. They end up having to sit behind you in a tankwell and all dog owners know that dogs don't like to be behind you very much. They always seem to be out in front - picture people taking digs for a walk. However, many folks do take them in a tankwell.

You mention dry. Not many SOT's are dry. Not many folks can go out all day and not end up with a wet rear end and wet legs.

What part of Michigan? I grew up there, Orchard Lake area, until I was 16. Spent summers up north at camp on Lake Charlevoix.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

Hey Rik, it sounds like we may convert you to canoe yet :D