kayak fishing the keys

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
scottpark

kayak fishing the keys

Post by scottpark »

I'm driving down from Charleston with my kayak to the keys with weekend and I'm looking for some good places to catch some fish (permit, bone, etc) on the fly and or spinning reel. I'm staying in key west most of the time though will go anywhere that sounds good. I'm planning on stopping somewhere on our way to key west and doing some fishing too. Does any one have any suggestions on places?
Fuzzy Bruce

Re: kayak fishing the keys

Post by Fuzzy Bruce »

I had a decent day at Anne's Beach, Lower Matecumbe - M.M. 73.8 oceanside. Can get crowded on weekends but usually quiet during the week. My best bones day was an early morning an hour or so before low tide until an hour or so after within 100 from the shore straight out. Sight fishing to the mudding fish. Crab and shrimp patterns should do well if worked slow.

Facing the beach there is a marina to the left and fishing near the channel and following it to the west towards the bridge was productive for decent snapper. Sometimes the jacks are in the area and make a game of trying to destroy any lures you might use. I have also seen tarpon, sharks, grouper and very big baracuda around the bridge. Just be aware the the currents at the bridge can rip through quite fast after the slack at high and low tides.

East of the marina can be good for sight fishing too. Not to much pressure on the fish there since there is limited/no parking along that stretch except accross the street at businesses.

Funny, you might see some flats boats leaving the marina at flank speed for parts unknown and if they don't see you with a fish on, they disappear into the sunrise.
All my hobbies can or have hurt me!