Beer Can Chicken Twisted

Mark R

Beer Can Chicken Twisted

Post by Mark R »

I was hunting with skeeter last year on his property and the couple on the other side of the road invited us over for dinner.
He is a Georgia boy and he was cookin beer can chicken over an open fire. He put a grille over his fire and used the cover from his BBQ to cover the chicken. He put 1/2 a can of beer inside the chicken and oil on the outside of the chicken and "rubbed" it with Zatarians crab and crawfish boil powder. It was great, so this is my twist on that in my smoker. I know the crab boil sounds weird but it is REALLLY good.
For the coating I mixed olive oil (evoo), honey, Italian seasoning and garlic.
I emptied 1 can of Budweiser, (not wasted), opened a second can and divided the contents between the two cans. I added a little white wine, garlic, Italian spice and fresh rosemary sprigs.
Then it's up the.....rear opening it the chicken with the beer cans and applied the oil mixture to the skin.
Next rub in the Zatarians into the oil coating and skin.
And into the smoker!
More to come
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Mark R

Re: Beer Can Chicken Twisted

Post by Mark R »

Opps, I forgot the side, smoked corn on the cob. Soaked in 1/2 H2O and 1/2 milk overnight (ok 6 hours this time).
And added to the smoker.
MTC!
And a little "pre" look at the chicken. :D
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Sounds great!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Last edited by JoeS on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Sorry I didn't get to post this last night, by the time I ate, picked the birds and cleaned up I was falling asleep.
Soooo after six hours at 200 to 225 F, meat temp up to 165F.
Into the kitchen with the cans removed. I let it rest for 1/2 hour.
Carving, the meat is falling off the bones and moist UmMMmMMMm, yea I snuck a taste or two.
And plated up.
The chicken was fantastic, full of flavor and very moist.
The corn is a different story. I've been cooking corn like this on the grille for years, never tried it in the smoker. The idea is that the heat caramelizes the fat in the milk...making essentially butter. You don't have to butter the corn and you get the grilled flavor, it's great. I don't think, ok I know, the smoker isn't hot enough to caramelize the milk. It was ok but not up to grilling standards, won't make that mistake again. I did eat it. :lol: