Going to Sanibel!!

Flamingo to Big Bend
Redman0421

Going to Sanibel!!

Post by Redman0421 »

Has anybody fished this area recently. I've never had the pleasure, but I'd like to get my family on some fish.
Thanks
Red
"Hey now Partner- that wasn't very nice."
LABOYINFLA

Re: Going to Sanibel!!

Post by LABOYINFLA »

I have fished Tarpon Bay a few times and have had good luck, beautiful place , Mangroves , Flats, Channel all u want
LABOY
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Ding Darling for reds/snook. Tarpon Bay for tarpon/trout. Beaches for snook. Blind Pass for mixed bag. Get out early morning or late afternoon.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Redman0421

Post by Redman0421 »

Thanks. Is Blind Pass synonymous with Old Blind Pass? And what type of structure should I be looking for?
Thanks again,
Red
casteryaker

Post by casteryaker »

Blind pass is between sanibel and captiva. There is a jetty of rocks off the beach.drift live bait past those rocks with a moving tide for snook etc. Big big goliath grouper can be had off the rocks also if your bait is big enough. My buddy pulled in a 400 pounder on 1/2 a spanish mack. Shark off the beach too....
islander

Post by islander »

Was just down there Thursday. Captiva was a bust. Nobody was catching anything. Bowman beach had snook all over, but, they were seriously fussy. Caught some trout, jacks there after the sun went down on that beach. Tarpon are everywhere...
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Redman0421

Post by Redman0421 »

Good news. Pine Island sound was great today. Launched out of D.D. and made my way to the open grass flats. Discovered a pattern: the mangrove bank was windswept, so the grass flats just of the mangroves were the most active. Started drifting and my dad hooked what was most likely a snook, but we couldn't tell for sure. All we know is that it was making the drag scream! Drifted a little further and I hooked up with a nineteen inch trout. Just down the mangrove line, my brother hooked up with a chub of a 26 inch redfish. A good 5 minute fight for him, and also his first redfish out of a kayak! Spent 4 hours on the water, with some other accidental de-hooks... :roll:

End result:
Redfish- (1) 26 incher
Trout- (2) 16 and 19 inches
Cats- (3) nobody cares how long
Mysteryfish- (4) ???

Pics coming soon. Thank you to everyone that helped on the forum!
Redman0421

Post by Redman0421 »

Another good trip! Went out to the beach at night to look for snook. Stayed out on the sand for two and a half hours. Dad caught an absolute pig, which came in at about 15+ pounds and 35 inches. I jumped one that got off, then caught a decent sized snook that came in at around 20 -25 inches.

Once again, thank you for all your help guys!
Red :cherry:
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I fished the beach at Blind Pass, yesterday morning ei July 1st. No snook to be seen as the water was still murky from sand churned up by ripple waves from Hurricane Alex. The trough was quite fishable but there was no bait fish pods at all. I fished both sides of the causeway on the way home but no bait there either.

I will be gone for all of July and that is the month I caught beach snook there last year. Back in early August and will try Sanibel/Captiva beaches again. I do expect to find them there as I have a reliable report that there were many large snook in Blind Pass itself a couple of weeks ago.

Blind Pass under the bridge looking toward the Sound looks great but I am not sure where you could access it with a kayak and the current was pretty strong yesterday morning.

Has anyone fished Lighthouse Beach at the southeast corner of Sanibel? It looks interesting on Google Earth.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
casteryaker

Post by casteryaker »

Lighthouse beach is a popular spot for poon, but also for tourists. When the pier there was closed after hurricane charlie the fishing was phenomenal. (dont ask questions) caught multiple 38+ reds and many screaming runs in the shark rod