Kayaks in pickups

LHolman

Kayaks in pickups

Post by LHolman »

Ok, for those of you that have pickup trucks, how do you secure a kayak in the back of the truck. I just got a truck to replace my explorer, that got totaled, and I do not know how to secure the kayak in the bed of the truck. I know I will have to get a bed extender, since it only has a 6 1/2 ft bed, but do not know how to secure th front of the kayak. can any one help on this.

Larry
Rik

Re: Kayaks in pickups

Post by Rik »

I have a bed extender and put 2 bungees around the kayak aft end (on mine it ends up right behind the seat) at the extender crossbar and then one bungee over the kayak right at the hinge of the tailgate. I have nothing at the front end of the kayak. 3 bungees total.

I know, 3 bungees? That's it? Yep, that's it. I've driven thousands of miles like that. Highway speeds, bumpy roads, etc. and have never had a problem.

I would suggest to all that have bed extenders to raise them as high as they go. The higher up in the air the aft end of the kayak is, the less likely it is to get hit. Mine is high enough to go over most pick up truck hoods. If a car/truck doesn't stop, I'd rather they just take out the bed extender instead of my taking my kayak with it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
yaksailor

Post by yaksailor »

I use two ratchet straps, one on the bed extender and one inside the bed. I snug them down tight but not to tight. never had a problem even on the freeway.
Great idea from Rik about raising the extender, never thought it but will give it a try....
Casey US Navy Ret.
Heritage Redfish 12
Hobie Revolution 13.5
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

I do the same way that Rik does ,Again I too have no problems either.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

i have a 95 nissan pickup that has a shortbed on it but i dont have the extender so i use a yakima foam pad that came with my straps to lift off the tailgate and then i use 1 long strap to tie down from the bow side and then from the stern side i use ratchet strap to across through the hand grip and hook to the hooks i have built into the truck. good luck to ya
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

i have an 08 silverado regular bed. We put 2 kayaks in the bed with no bed extender, just the tailgate down. One ratchet strap from the bow to the hook of the truck on the left side, and same with the other kayak on the other side. one ratchet strap close to the cab going from the hook, through both handles and to the other hook. 3 ratchet straps total and did fine even going to the east coast at 80 mph
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I would also like to recommend a spray in bedliner. Rust will become an issue. Even with the drop in type liner. Ask for the poolmans spray in it does not cost or didn't cost any more
Credo quia absurdum
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Someone on PF secures an aluminum extension ladder to the bed of his pick up. Seems to work find, but can't tell you how he secures it to the bed.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Larry,
Does the truck have a tool box? If so, here is how I carry mine.In each front corner of the bed, I doubled up a 5' coated cable and attached it to the hook in the bed. I then slipped the cable between the bedliner and the toolbox, giving me a secure point to connect a strap or bungee to. These cables stay attached so I can also carry my riding lawnmower. Once I load the boat, I strap from each cable to the side carry handle, and another strap across the bow to the bed extender.

Hope it helps.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
LHolman

Post by LHolman »

Thanks ya'll for the info and ideas.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

I have an "Extend a Truck" bar fits into the Receiver Hitch and I LOVE it! Last time I checked, Bill Jackson's had 'em for around fifty bucks! :shock: :cool:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Swamprider

Post by Swamprider »

Do you guys put lights on your yaks or just a flag?
2b1 Ask one
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

I added a regular trailer light to the back of my bed extender.
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
WHY KNOT

Post by WHY KNOT »

I added the magnetic lights from Harbor Freight. As a precaution added a length of velcro as a fastener, but the magnets seem more than adequate. Been using this setup for about a yr and no problems. Still have the bandanna on the end with a red blinking light from the nearby bike shop. WHY KNOT
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Put reflective tape on your bed extender. Works great.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Swamprider

Post by Swamprider »

Thanks. I picked up a nice one at Harbor Freight for $30.00
2b1 Ask one