Where can I find fly tying materials

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Evan wrote:I can't believe Charlie Craven's Fly Box made this list! I've known Charlie for years, since he operated Rocky Mountain Anglers in my home town of Boulder. His flies are the BEST, and he's a great guy to boot. I know this sounds like a paid endorsement but supporting Charlie is money well-spent.
Only having dealt with Charlie through buying on-line and chatting with him on another forum can I attest to his being a great guy. Would llike to meet him one day.

The man ties wonderful flies.

Charlie Craven's

Check out the rest of Han's site HERE. The who's who of fly tying. Very nice flies!!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

BBabcock wrote:There is a place in South Venice on US 41. The name has escaped me now. It is primarily a hunting, camping, etc. It is on the left hind side while traveling South, next to some big basket shop. Not a huge selection but does good on the basics and the prices are good. When I remember the name I will post.

Brian
Cooks Sportland?
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
speck

Post by speck »

Lots of nice stuff, good people and tons of fly tying supplies. http://www.theflyhatch.com/

Which has relocated to Tampa as "The Tampa Angler" http://www.thetampaangler.com/

They bent over backwards to get an order drop shipped to me over the holidays.
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

I think I saw that the old Casey Key Outfitters was opening back up or sold to FlyingFish Outfitters. I am not sure if they are going to focus on fly tackle again or not. I think late February is the opening. That woud be nice to have a dedicated shop close by. If anyone has any details let us know.

Brian
Evan

Post by Evan »

The old Casey Key Outfitters is indeed a tackle shop again, tho they didn't have any fly-tying materials when I was there about a month ago. Just a big sign that said "Live Bait" out front.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

Evan,

I saw that as well. Yesterday in the Sarasota paper they mentioned that the shop was going to reopen again under new ownership and name. FlyFish or Flyingfish something or other. It wasn't clearly stated if they were going to specialize in fly tackle but they did mention fly tackle.

Brian
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

some other resources are Franks Michaels and Thrift stores. From the craft stores you can get all sorts of things feathery and shiny and at a Thrift store (Goodwill) you may find types of fur coats. I have gotten minks and ermine tails. I saw a rabbit coat in there once but at $15 I thought is was too expensive.
overtheedge86

Post by overtheedge86 »

My wife surprised me with materials today! Bought at All About Fishing, next to Ritz camera, off 41 in Sarasota. Can't speak for there selection since i wasn't there, but she mention the guy was very helpful.
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

Bill Jackson's is very good. Love that place.

Flint Creek Outfitters just opened in Riverview. Grand Opening is Feb. 26-28.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
FlyingFish

Re: Where can I find fly tying materials

Post by FlyingFish »

Just wanted to fill you in on the latest with Casey Key Anglers & Outfitters..

The old shop is no longer. For a few months, the location became a bait store. In January, new owners moved in and transformed the shop into a spinning & fly fishing store: Flying Fish Outfitters.

We carry the area's largest selection of tying materials, rods & reels. We host many events and are working very hard to fill the niche.

Feel free to check us out online at http://www.flyingfishflorida.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Our hours are 7 days, 7a - 7p except Wed, where we close at 1, and Sundays, where we close at 3p.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Flying Fish is a sponsor of the Mangrove Coast Flyfishers Club in Sarasota. Go check them out - they are awesome!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Excellent. I'll stop by tomorrow!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

Thanks for the heads up. Will put it on my travel stops.

Brian
islander

Post by islander »

Yes! They are a decent store.

Please stay in business!
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I didn't read carefully enough last night. I drove by but it lookedlike a bait shop and I kept going. Looks like they were closed anyway. I'll be back. Now get that damned crab sign outa there! :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.