Flatstalker

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Evan

Flatstalker

Post by Evan »

OK, so my guess is that there isn't much love for the Flatstalker among paddle fishermen (given that it's almost impossible to actually paddle), but since it doesn't appear here and I own one, I figured I would seed a review.

Basically, it does a few things very well and a lot of things poorly.

Upside = incredible stability, great view sitting atop the box, easy to stand and fight fish 360 degrees, and the optional trolling motor is nice for reversing away from a dock once you've hooked a fish.

Downside = incredibly heavy and cumbersome, impossible to paddle (either have to push-pole or use trolling motor), terrible hullslap in the wind, takes forever to assemble before launch, downright dangerous if the waves come up suddenly.

If you can afford to have an extra toy sitting around, and/or if you spend a lot of time fishing docklights or residential canals or salt marshes, this thing is great. Otherwise, your money is better-invested in a kayak.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Folks might not believe you, so I think a nice pic of the hullslap is in order.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Evan

Post by Evan »

Will post soon. Too bad I can't also post a recording of the waves crashing into the bow of this thing - sounds like a kettle drum.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Probably good for the right situation but I would not want one full time.

And on another subject, I have owned many kayaks. Have owned a kayak that was famous for its hullslap, it never stopped me from catching fish.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Evan

Post by Evan »

At the risk of getting off-track here, that's an interesting comment about hull slap. I always figured it spooked fish, but have very little empirical evidence to back that up now that I think about it. We would often float multiple boats down trout rivers back home. Seemed like the guys in the metal dory boats (lots of hull noise) never caught as many fish, but then again, they were usually in the back of the pack so that could be a non-sequitur.

Even so, I don't think the common understanding of "hull slap" is enough to describe the Flatstalker, which is more like "hull crash".
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Evan wrote:Even so, I don't think the common understanding of "hull slap" is enough to describe the Flatstalker, which is more like "hull crash".
:lol:

My totally unscientific thought on hull slap is that if the waves are enough to slap on the hull of a kayak there is already a lot of noise under the water.

I saw one of those flatstalkers in Miguel Bay one time. The guy was using a push pole. Great vantage point but poling that heavy beast against the wind must be a PITA.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Evan

Post by Evan »

If it weren't for totally un-scientific views, I would have no opinions at all :wink:

Before I got the trolling motor, I was fishing Buttonwood Harbor when an unexpected East wind start ripping. Took me over half an hour to paddle/pole back to the shore, not even a half-mile away. Calling it a "barge" does injustice to barges.
bw510

Post by bw510 »

i still think we need to bolt a 9.9 hp to it...yeeehaw
Strike Zone

Re: Flatstalker

Post by Strike Zone »

I have two of them brand new for sale $650 each if anyone is interested.

Dave 863-967-4148