Gulf Council Decisions That Might Impact Red Drum Inshore

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Chrystal_Murray

Gulf Council Decisions That Might Impact Red Drum Inshore

Post by Chrystal_Murray »

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFMCWe ... 3-2010.pdf

Scroll down to article titled, "Harvest of Red Drum in the Gulf of Mexico Under Consideration".
Rik

Re: Gulf Council Decisions That Might Impact Red Drum Inshor

Post by Rik »

It just never ends......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Funny, just yesterday I was just talking with a guy from Louisiana, and he was telling me about how there are so many humongous Snook and Reds up there, all for the taking on every cast. No slot or quantity limits, and there still more than you can ever need up there.

WTF is going on here?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Rik

Post by Rik »

He wasn't being truthful

Drum, Red (Redfish):16 inches minimum total length. Five fish per person daily bag limit with not more than one exceeding 27 inches. See note* at the end of this section. Take or possession of red drum in federal waters is prohibited.

*For Red Drum (Redfish), and Spotted Seatrout (Speckled Trout): Recreational saltwater anglers may possess a two day's bag limit on land; however, no person shall be in possession of over the daily bag limit in any one day or while fishing or while on the water, unless that recreational saltwater angler is aboard a trawler engaged in commercial fishing for a consecutive period of longer than 25 hours.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/re ... gulations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link deals with federal waters which, upon the face of it, doesn't affect us as inshore fishermen. However, reds breed offshore. The juveniles come in to grow up before they go offshore to breed. If you reduce the offshore population, you reduce the number of breeders which reduces the number of juvenile fish.

So, yes, it does affect us as inshore fishermen.

All you have to do is read up on the guy who is the main force behind this - Harlon Pearce. The last 4 paragraphs in the link tell you what his incentive is.

http://laseafood.com/index.php/seafood/la_fish_story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Rik

Post by Rik »

and I'd challenge your buddy to show any evidence of any population of snook in Louisiana.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Rik wrote:and I'd challenge your buddy to show any evidence of any population of snook in Louisiana.
I didn't question him as I've never been up there. He did look a bit buzzed tho... :drunken:

Come to think of it, he did say something about 5 and 15 fish bag limit but did mention NO maximum size limit. Trust me, from the sound of it, speaking as every American is entitled to harvest what they want because there are so many, this guy was not above poaching by any means. I'm gonna be planning a trip up there with him and a bud, so expect a call to come bail me out. :pirate:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

mudfish wrote:
Rik wrote:and I'd challenge your buddy to show any evidence of any population of snook in Louisiana.
I didn't question him as I've never been up there. He did look a bit buzzed tho... :drunken:

Come to think of it, he did say something about 5 and 15 fish bag limit but did mention NO maximum size limit. Trust me, from the sound of it, speaking as every American is entitled to harvest what they want because there are so many, this guy was not above poaching by any means. I'm gonna be planning a trip up there with him and a bud, so expect a call to come bail me out. :pirate:
Naaa rot there! :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Evan

Post by Evan »

mudfish wrote:Trust me, from the sound of it, speaking as every American is entitled to harvest what they want because there are so many, this guy was not above poaching by any means.
"Entitled" is the perfect word. I really think this particular sentiment is the #1 obstacle to conservation efforts anywhere.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion