Wednesday Afternoon Red

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Wednesday Afternoon Red

Post by Manning »

Got on the water about 2:00 this afternoon. Sun was out and wind was low. Figured I might be able to find a red on my favorite grass flat. First fish I caught was a snook about 20" near the mangroves on the edge of the flat. Was nice to see they are down out of the creeks. Things were going slow. Found a good sized group of mullet and started working that area with my usual DOA shadtail. About 10 minutes into working the area and it was bang and then zing! First glimpse I got of the fish was a tail splash and from the size of the tail it looked good. Turned out to be between 29 and 30" but was really nice and fat. I don't carry anything to weight them with, but I bet this was the heaviest red I ever caught. The picture doesn't do it justice.
Almost did not get this picture. I was holding the red in the water with my lip grip and trying to get my camera out when the fish flipped so hard he pulled the grip out of my hand. (didn't have the lanyard around my wrist) I looked down and there was big red with the grip sticking out of it's mouth right beside the boat. I reached in and it took me two grabs to get hold of it. This fish must not have realized it was lose. Trust me if I lost that fish with the grip still in it's mouth you would not be hearing it from me.

After this I caught one more red about 19" in the same area. I then decided to take a little excursion. Went up my favorite creek and there were lots of snooklets to catch, but no big ones. All in all a great afternoon on the water.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Sometimes I wonder why I drive so much. :wink: Nice roho senior!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

DaveR wrote: Nice roho senior!
Are you calling him old?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

My Spanish lingo ain't so good.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Nice red Steve! Put a line on that lipper then you can use it as a temp stringer w/ the fish in water while you retrieve your camera..
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
DRock

Post by DRock »

Nice outing. I was on the road yesterday and thought it would be a great afternoon to fish. Apparently you found out it was!! Good news on the snook too!! Thanks for the report for us stuck inside!!!
Derick
Tan W.S. Ride 135
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

chincy wrote:Nice red Steve! Put a line on that lipper then you can use it as a temp stringer w/ the fish in water while you retrieve your camera..
Great idea. Never really thought about it. Will give it a try. Thanks.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
glockin40

Post by glockin40 »

Great red and it was nice to meet you at the launch.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)
13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

chincy wrote:Nice red Steve! Put a line on that lipper then you can use it as a temp stringer w/ the fish in water while you retrieve your camera..
Yea, good idea.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

And with a line attached, it can also be used as a brush hook.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

Tie the knot on that line well, mine let go last time out but I found out the fish cant stay down long with the floating gripper in its mouth, so I had to chase it around a bit each time it surfaced and finally grapped it.
SILVER K

Post by SILVER K »

DaveR wrote:Sometimes I wonder why I drive so much. :wink:
The grass alway look greener on the other side of the fence. :idea:
Mako

Post by Mako »

good report...nice fat red
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

*ROJO*
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Ok Ok. Last time I try that one.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Not everyone can type bilingually.