all fish DEAD

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
bonefishwhisperer

all fish DEAD

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

the Bay is ruined...everything dead...not even bothering to go this weekend...not a single sign of life except vultures...water is beyond cold...all bait dead without exception and laying on the bottom...all boats at Black Point report 0 fish...everybody asking if there was even 1 fish caught all day...the answer was NO at 4:30pm when I left...
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I was waiting for your report. Terrible news.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
bonefishwhisperer

its the 1st time I have ever seen 0 fish alive since Alaska...didnt see a single ripple on the water in 8hrs...not a single shark, ray or cuda in 4 miles of poling...I got some pictures but too depressed to download them
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
Mother

Post by Mother »

Same thing at Flamingo, today.
Dead snook, mayans, ladyfish, and catfish. Buttonwood canal was full of dead fish, and fish dying.
bluebill

Bum News

Post by bluebill »

BFW

Sorry to hear the grim news about Biscayne Bay.

Any news about death or survival of peacocks?

I will be in Miami for only one day later in the week and must be back to Pine island the same day.

I plan to spend a couple of hours mid-day checking a couple of spots where I have always seen peacocks.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
bonefishwhisperer

I did see tons of peacocks.....all floating :cry:
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I went yesterday and BFW is right on it was a depressing site, I saw no tails, pushes, or surface action, no large live fish not even a shark or porpise. The bottom is littered with dead white baitfish, puffers, needlefish, and cudas, the shoreline is littered with the floaters.
I did however see a some mullet up on a couple mud flats, looks like the cold did not affect the mullet as much. I also saw some 1" sized brown minnow type baits in a couple spots where the grass has not died off yet.
Spoke to someone who went the opposite direction than I did at the launch and he said the flats to there were desolete of life and littered with dead cudas and bait fishes everywhere.
Spoke to a group of 9 tourist from an RV park who launched with 9 kayaks and spread out looking for manatee, they saw nothing but vultures and dead fish. One guy said the marina was littered with floating Snook.

Here is the happy crew, its low tide so the shoreline below is littered with floaters:

Peacocks did someoen mention Peacocks, here is a shot postedon another board. the guy works for a golf course in Broward and had to collet the floaters, as its bad for biz.. this was his private honey hole as a worker at the course. Fertilizer now.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bluebill

Krash's Report

Post by bluebill »

Krash

Thanks for the report on your findings of fish kill on BB.

We must have fared much better on the Matlacha side of Pine Island as I never saw any buzzards or big pods of floaters.

And thanks for the link to the photo of dead Peacocks at the golf course in Broward.

I am still interested in the fate of Peacocks in the Miami canals.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Similar story out of Chokoloskee this weekend. Saw a lot of dead snook, tarpon, mullet, catfish, snapper, jacks, pinfish, sardines, etc. We did see activity however. There were mullet actively jumping, and I had 2 ladyfish bite. The buzzards were gorging themselves.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Too windy for kayaking so checked the same canals in St James City this afternoon.

The dead mojarra and a few catfish were now floating amongst the dead leaves blown into the water by gusty winds yesterday. Just one dead snook floating. All in all kind of grizzly and smelly.

There were plenty of mullet so heaved a mirrodine out. Had quick hookup then loss over a few times. Turns out the canals were full of ladyfish and they were striking a bit less quickly but fighting well when hooked.

Not a sign of a heron or buzzard anywhere.

I plan to kayak fish the flats and channels on the east side as soon as I finish some work. Winds will finally be 5 to 10mph Monday and Tuesday.

thanks for the Peacocks update BFW
bonefishwhisperer

my tarpon spot on C4 canal at the airport lakes is wiped out as well...dead ducks and peacocks stink it up so bad my dogs dont even like it...going to go either today or tomorrow to search for the redfish at my secret spots...I hope they are alive and in place so I can work...
TK

Post by TK »

Reds tend to hold up better, so hopefully you don't see any floaters.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

No floater reds up here, hope it's the same for you Cordell.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I talked to an avid young kayak & wade fishman yesterday.

He saw schools of reds on the east side of Pine Island in south Matlacha Pass near the mangroves. Also, small snook along the mangroves.

I caught hungry lady fish in the same area two days ago and another kayak fisherman was catching trout but they were all under 15"

Mullet activity is starting to appear normal. Lots of jumpers in various sizes.
perch

Bonefish Blues

Post by perch »

After reading the reports of dead bonefish in the Keys I headed out to BP on Sunday hoping to see tails. After touching the water I knew it would not be good. Flat was lifeless but did see scattered small trout and exactly one pair of small snook tucked in a cove. That was hopeful until I headed south to what can now be called Buzzard Beach. Krash's picture was the best way to describe the hundreds of vultures cleaning up the shore lines.

Lookdowns, baitfish, mojarras and everything BFW described then bonefish:(
About a two pounder not any bigger than a paddle blade. Took a picture with cell phone but won't bother uploading. Several more near shore and then couldn't believe I saw a stingray belly up.

I did see a manatee poking his head around the canal.

Depressing to say the least.

Any free time coming up will be spent cleaning up the mangroves adding to my collection of floats and crab trap lines. Cordell said last I saw him and Krash someone should organize a clean up.

Consider this your invitation if you want to help out.

Will be putting in at BP and heading north as this is an area in need of salvaging. I am finding out if you can get carbon credits for recycling plastics.

As for peacocks bit of good news as my neighbor kids pulled out about a 5lber out of my back yard canal. Water still very cold but DEEP so I see lots of survivors. Haven't walked the neighborhood canals but will try on Friday.

I will be towing a 16ft plastic canoe for the debris.

Perch

ps...Cordell after reading your posts about show wishing you the best.