Heritage Redfish 12

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Rik

Heritage Redfish 12

Post by Rik »

Please give a review

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Pros
-Quiet
-Stable
-Storage
-Almost no hull slap

Cons
-Heavier than some
-On slower side

I have been paddling/fishing out of my red Heritage Redfish 12 for 7 months and I definitely liked it more than my previous kayak (Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140). The Redfish 12 is very stable, enough to be able to stand up and cast comfortably. I was able to do that with my Tarpon 140 but not as well and not as confident in doing so. I used the Redfish 12 mainly for fishing the flats for redfish, snook, and trout in southwest FL. One thing I have noticed that helped me decide to buy this kayak was the fact that I was able to stalk redfish to the point where I was within five feet of them. In a calm to moderate chop the Redfish 12 has no hull slap..it glides through the water amazingly. I spook more fish drifting on top of them than any other way. The front hatch is big enough where I can stow my kayak cart for those beach excursions which actually makes the front hatch useful. I'm able to fit a crate and a small cooler in the tankwell, or just a large cooler.

I don't have trouble loading the Redfish 12 in my truck, I grab one of the side handles and carry it onto the bed. Longer distances it may seem a problem but where I fish the launch is either right next to the water or on a beach where I use my cart. Compared to the Tarpon 140 this kayak is a little bit slower. It doesn't bother me because when I fish with other kayakers I'm maybe a few yards behind, nothing major.

I opted for the 12' Redfish rather than the 14' because it is just easier to transport. The 14' is a bit faster, a bit heavier, so both yaks are almost the same. I received a pretty good deal on this kayak when it first entered the market so that helped me decide to get it. Overall I would recommend it to every kayak fisherman or soon to be kayak fisherman out there. It is stable, you do not get that wet (although water does make its way through the scupper holes), and it is super quiet for those who make every ounce of effort to catch those wary fish .

LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

:shock:
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Exactly what Neil said about the wind pushing you. I've had the same problem, and not having a rudder it can get pretty annoying.

Other than that, it's been extremely good to me. Very quiet and stable. I can stand and pole it almost effortlessly without worrying about it tipping. Other than when I get in the boat wet it's extremely dry, never have any problems with water getting in it. The seat is very comfortable and the built in scupper plugs are nice too.

Another draw back is the rear tankwell is further back from the seat than some kayaks, like the OK P13, and it isn't as wide. I can put my crate in it without problem, but it doesn't leave room for much of anything else.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Dreads

Post by Dreads »

I love my Redfish12 because of the DRY ride.. Like stated above Its a bit slower that other boats, but Im never in a hurry anyway..
It does seem to pull sometimes, but I think that has more to do with my paddle stroke that the craft itself.....

Overall it was a good buy for the money spent......
thought about selling it once, but I soon came to my senses...
I like my boat and I "Pimped it out" Island style (Hawaiian that is)
Native Ultimate 14.5
WS-T120
Shep

Post by Shep »

I've had mine for a couple months now and I'm lovin it.
It is very quiet and dry.
Easy to paddle, slow, but stays at speed with very little effort.
With any type of current or wind, a rudder will make life much easier. I have mine on order now. I'll write another review after I've used the rudder.
The DVC seat is quite comfortable, lets plenty of air circulate. Boat is plenty stable for my fat butt to sit sideways and reach the cooler all the way in the back without feeling like I'm about to get really wet.
I just wish it came with a little hatch right in front of the seat.
Front hatch stays very dry. Big boat made a big wake, buried my bow once or twice and stayed totally dry inside, water came all the way into the cockpit.
New place, new fishing adventures.
Shep

Post by Shep »

Put some time in with my rudder, and it does make a world of difference.
So much easier to just paddle instead of making constant course corrections, making myself more tired than I should be. After fishing today with some guys with longer boats, I'm going to try and talk the wife into letting me get a tarpon160.
New place, new fishing adventures.
abz400

Post by abz400 »

i bought a redfish 14' last year and now i'm just adding a 12' to my fleet.they are very dry boats but not the fastest out there but who's in a hurry.i bought the redfish 12' for a spare and maybe sometimes not have to take the 14' on some trips.can't wait to get it wet this weekend.
go get your string pulled!
gregfl

Post by gregfl »

I have a redfish 10, cool little boat that I use mostly for guests and for river paddles.

Serious question. Is there any substantial difference between a redfish 12 and a wilderness tarpon 12?