Hiding from the wind

PHLYfisher

Hiding from the wind

Post by PHLYfisher »

My buddy is flying down to do some serious flats fishing with me this weekend but the forecast looks less than perfect.... classic post coldfront nonsense with a brisk northwest wind. We really want to break out the fly rods to sight fish for reds but ive never had much luck in the wind. Can anyone shed some advice on finding tailing fish in the wind? Should we head up to the upper bay or just get on the downwind side of things in the southern bay. How is Cockroach for getting out of the wind? Or maybe upper Tierra Ceia? I was planning on hitting Miguel/ Joe bay but that looks like it will be whitewater this weekend.
Rik

Post by Rik »

19 mph NW wind on Sat. That means it'll likely be gusting to 25. NW wind is tough in Tampa Bay. Don't mean to rain on your parade but good luck finding tailing fish.

Watch the tides! Low will be very low.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
PHLYfisher

Post by PHLYfisher »

ugghhhh. yeah thats what I thought. Well probly just head as far back into the creeks as possible and hope for the best. Maybe hit some canals at night if we cant get any during the day.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

2 words.
Titty bar
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

On a North wind of any kind, try Picnic Island on the inside bay towards Macdill. Bring you kayak cart and park all the way in the very rear of the parking area. Go straight South with your Kayak on the cart to the small overlook peir and put in. Then, paddle due East towards Macdill and fish all the flats in between. There have been some nice fish in there as of late and it's a good North wind location. I'm probably nuts for giving out this info, but I certainly do not mind other kayakers in the area I fish. :D I also suggest a light color soft plastic lure on an offset hook in the Gin clear water, especially with the front. Topwaters are a tad much during the Winter months because of the water clarity and the sound. Match tha Hatch! Since there is not much "Hatch" in the Winter. A shrimp or Creek Chub color is optimal. I might Seeya Sunday!! :D
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
PHLYfisher

Post by PHLYfisher »

Thanks for the advice! Were gonna hit Double Branch creek during the front Friday but we may try that area over the weekend. Tight lines.
overtheedge86

Post by overtheedge86 »

Watch the weather on Friday. I've been caught, it's not fun.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Yeah, getting caught by an approaching front REEEAAAALLY sucks! Just make sure you are in kneedeep water so you can walk back if you have to! :shock: :cry: :x
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

kneedeep wrote: I might Seeya Sunday!! :D
If not you will see that hole jumping DaveR
Mlib19

Post by Mlib19 »

If I dont have a kayak cart, how far is it to walk my kayak from that spot? I might just try DB Saturday. Im pretty new to kayak fishing so Im itching to get out and the weather has not cooperated at all on my days off lately.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

You don't have to launch there. There is a canoe launch not too far from the front gate on the left hand side that puts you right next to a creek that will lead you out to the same place (just a little farther north up the peninsula).
trash.can.slam

Post by trash.can.slam »

I put in at the canoe launch last week just after low tide and it was a little tough getting out of that back bay area. There was a pretty stiff Northish wind too, and it wasn't helping the skinny water situation. Putting in at the pier would have definitely helped on that trip. The pier is probably ~200 yards from the parking lot.

Over the summer I occasionally fished the mangrove areas east of the park and had decent luck, but it was dirt dry back there last week. Pretty cool sight with all the exposed oyster bars.
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

I was out there on Sat. morning and, like TCS said, it was VERY shallow. I have used the canoe/kayak launch before, but it can be difficult if the tide is out. On Saturday I parked at the south end of the parking lot and just carried my kayak to the beach. It is MUCH closer than hauling it all the way to the south pier and I would rather paddle around the tip than walk all the way to the pier.

On Sat. the wind was fairly steady from the east... it did not make things easy.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30902&st

Post by Norm »

Im not sure it is going to be possible to hide from the wind this weekend. Just got back from Bishops and the wind was kicking steady out of the northeast all day. Couple that with a negative .5 tide and you are going to see alot of dryland and may end up doing alot of walking in ankle deep or less water. Was suppose to be incoming about mid morning, but the wind sure slowed that down as well as making for a real workout paddling back in.

Last edited by Norm on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
jayone91

Post by jayone91 »

I checked out Picnic Island today to see how the conditions were. It was very windy and the flat between the park and Macdill was very low. Never the less I will probably try out some Kayak fishing out there this Saturday unless the wind is just too much.

I've got a brand new yak and nothing short of serious storms are gonna keep me from at least trying to get out there this weekend.
PHLYfisher

Post by PHLYfisher »

Amen im planning on getting out no matter what. Thinking about hitting some residential canals that run perpendicular to the wind. That should be the ticket if things get too crazy out there.