Rigged Hobie Pro Angler

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Talltails

Rigged Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Talltails »

MGMT EDIT: Talltails is a Hobie Sponsored Angler

So far I have added Scotty flush mounts to the mounting boards. The mounting boards can also be used for electronics. I installed an anchor trolley. Stan from CaptDick.net gave me a prototype 10 foot stakeout pole to use as a push pole. It works great in the skinny water.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

That yacht of a kayak is looking sweet. You did a nice job rigging it.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Doesn't look too much different than a plastic Johnboat. Nicely rigged beast.

How's the weight, portability factor? Can one man do it all?

...also, where's the wet bar? 8)
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Hamrhdz

Post by Hamrhdz »

Is this your first Mirage?
I'm curious about the manuverability. I like the rudder location and I imagine it helps.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

This boat is obviously not for everyone. I know a lot of paddle purists will hate it or at the very least laugh at it and I can understand that. Hobie did not make this boat for that crowd. I also have a Quest, and a Revolution. I have both paddled and pedaled for years and can appreciate both.
Here is some of my intitial thoughts on this boat. The Pro Angler is a very stable large plastic boat. It can store a rediculous amount of gear on board. It is heavy, but manageable for most adults by themselves. I easily slide it in and out of the back of my pickup truck. It is surprisingly manuverable. Because of the rudder position, it will turn on a dime. It's more nimble than my Revolution when it comes to turning. The Mirage Drive comes stock with turbo fins. I comfortably pedal around 4 MPH according to my GPS. To be honest, I feel like I'm fishing from a kayak when in this boat. The biggest difference is the incredible stability which enables trus standup fishing.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I like it. If it were mine i'd put little model F-15's on the top front because it does look like an Aircraft Carrier. With the design of the rudder I can see a company putting a propeller in that little hide away area in front of the rudder with a shaft and bicycle drive. The storage space is insane but I would like to start bringing less stuff with me. I look forward to seeing one in person.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Don't EVEN think this is a kayak... It isn't... Hobie calls it a boat.. 138 lbs dry with the mirage drive and rudder. No... One man cannot load or unload by himself without a trailer or an exceptional launch point.

Stable it is.. Ugly too. JMHO

I'll stay with my Revolution.
newyaker

Post by newyaker »

Nice Kayak ...I think you are going to really enjoy having a very stable platform. I really don't think the added weight will be a problem. I have a outfitter tandem and it only weighs 10 lbs. less or so and I don't have any problems loading or unloading it by myself. Congrats on the awesome ride.
(Hobie fish Outfitter Tandem 08') Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown
redfish

Post by redfish »

That kayak loooks Sweeeet!!!!
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

Fishaddict wrote:Don't EVEN think this is a kayak... It isn't... Hobie calls it a boat.. 138 lbs dry with the mirage drive and rudder. No... One man cannot load or unload by himself without a trailer or an exceptional launch point.

Stable it is.. Ugly too. JMHO

I'll stay with my Revolution.
I think you are being a little harsh. I saw one for the first time yesterday and it looks sweet!!!! I'm jealous I did not look into getting one. It's fast, it's stable, it also has an insane amount of storage space!
Emotion Grand Slam Angler